Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick What is wrong with my guinea? Squeaking as if in pain...

mlgobel

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. I could really use some help with my baby Zola :(

A few weeks ago, I took her to the vet because she was squeaking when she pooped, as if she was in pain. At first I thought I was imagining it, but the squeaks progressively got worse. She also started having stringy mucus with her poop every now and then. This really freaked me out, so I took her to the vet. The vet did a basic exam and said she seemed okay, and when he did a fecal smear results came up negative. Blood work was an extra $120 so I had to pass on that, so he gave her some medicine ,(Flagyl?) that he said usually does the trick for any infection a guinea might have. Unfortunately for Zola this was not the case. The mucus poop got worse, the squeaking got worse, and she stopped eating :( I took her to the vet again, this time to a vet that specializes in guinea pigs and has been doing it for 52 years. He really knew his stuff. He also thought she seemed okay for the basic exam, and after running some other test he thought it was just a basic UTI. So he prescribed her to a different medication. The medicine seemed to work, her appetite was back, poop was normal. But now it's a week later and I'm hearing her squeak when pooping again :( I don't know what to do.. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and try and take her within the next few days, but vets are so expensive :/ Please help me figure out what's wrong!

*Note: My guineas are fed Oxbow pellets, Oxbow Orchard Grass Hay, and are given fresh veggies every night (red leaf & green leaf lettuce every day, rotate every other day red bell pepper & green bell pepper, rotate every other day cherry tomato & carrot, rotate every other day cucumber & cilantro...)

How old is Zola? Can you post some pictures? I've never heard of such a case before. If its UTI then why is she squeaking while pooping? This may be something else as pigs with UTI squeak usually while peeing since the infection is in the urinary tract itself.

I would get an x-ray to check for bladder stones.

What other test did the second vet run? He should have checked the urine for crystals which could be an indicator of stone formation. He should have also checked it for bacteria. Stones cause irritation and an infection often sets in. Either way, she probably should be on an antibiotic and pain meds since she's in pain. A probiotic should be given with the antibiotic. I agree with @Soercara, that an xray should be taken to rule out stones. How old is she?

What other test did the second vet run? He should have checked the urine for crystals which could be an indicator of stone formation. He should have also checked it for bacteria. Stones cause irritation and an infection often sets in. Either way, she probably should be on an antibiotic and pain meds since she's in pain. A probiotic should be given with the antibiotic. I agree with @Soercara, that an xray should be taken to rule out stones. How old is she?

She is not quite a year old, around 10 months.. I called this morning to try and see if they could give me any advice before making an appointment, and they said to try giving her the antibiotics I was giving her a couple of weeks ago since it worked then, and if that doesn't help then to bring her back in. Her poop doesn't have the mucus (yet), but it is very sticky/mushy. They told me to cut down on the leafy veggies for a bit to see if that changes anything. I will definitely go back within the week and ask for an x ray. He had run a urine test but nothing bad came up, he mentioned something about her white blood cells but it wasn't anything to really worry about... Blah, I feel so helpless.

Now that I am reading up on Bladder stones in guineas it seems like that's definitely it... I will call the vet in the morning and make an appointment. What do I do? If she has those won't she need surgery? I honestly don't think I can afford it :(

Her age makes me wonder if it is stones. I'm sure young ones can get stones but they're usually seen in more mature guinea pigs. There's always the chance that it's due to genetics or due to a high calcium diet. Did you get her as a pup or from someone else? What kind of diet has she been fed? Males can rarely pass a stone but females sometimes are able to if they're small enough. A competent exotic vet is sometimes able to palpitate a stone out but it's not a sure thing. Stone surgery is expensive and there's not guarantee more won't form so it's often a tough call. The important thing is to get her on an antibiotic and pain meds if it is a stone to make her feel more comfortable while you decide what to to. I hope it just turns out to be a UTI. Good luck.

Zola needs help. In SERIOUS pain, vet no help.

Something is wrong with Zola. I posted a while back about her having issues pooping and they haven't gotten any better. I've been to the vet three times and they can't figure out what's wrong, I can't afford to go anymore as I've spent over $500 on exams, urine tests, fecal smears, and x rays. They have given me antibiotics to give her but she hates them and giving them to her has become traumatizing in my opinion, as she's been on different ones for almost a month now. So the past few days I haven't been giving her the medicine (I've been trying my best but she really hates it), and her poop is now mushy and soft, and she cries while pooping. It breaks my heart and I don't know what to do. I give her oxbow pellets, oxbow orchard grass hay, bell peppers, red leaf & green leaf lettuce, carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, cilantro, etc... (not all of those every day besides the lettuce, I rotate). The reason I give her orchard grass is because she doesn't eat hay that has the harder sticks with it, like regular timothy would. she's extremely picky when it comes to hay. Please help guys Im so sad she is in pain.

Please don't start multiple threads on the same sick pig. It makes it way too hard for us to follow what's gone on before with the medical history. I've merged your threads.
1) Has she been seeing an exotic vet,or a regular small animal vet?

2) Has she been x-rayed to test for stones?

3) Have you taken her off all veggies to see if the poops firm up?

We can't fix your pig's pain from here. You need a vet who can diagnose what's wrong with her and treat it. If you've been seeing a regular dog-and-cat vet, you've most likely been wasting both time and money. Your pig needs an exotic vet. There are a few in San Diego.

Please don't start multiple threads on the same sick pig. It makes it way too hard for us to follow what's gone on before with the medical history. I've merged your threads.
1) Has she been seeing an exotic vet,or a regular small animal vet?

2) Has she been x-rayed to test for stones?

3) Have you taken her off all veggies to see if the poops firm up?

We can't fix your pig's pain from here. You need a vet who can diagnose what's wrong with her and treat it. If you've been seeing a regular dog-and-cat vet, you've most likely been wasting both time and money. Your pig needs an exotic vet. There are a few in San Diego.

I have been to an exotic vet. She has been x rayed, no stones. I took her off veggies, no change.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.