Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fresh Food What are your piggies favourite foods?

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
@madelineelaine I feed him cucumber, carrots, cilantro, apples, oranges, bell pepper, kiwi, mango, acorn squash, etc..

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
@photosavvy do you feed lettuce? Daily staples should be lettuce, carrot, tomato and bell pepper. Then you can add in other things like fruits once or twice a week and cucumbers, celery etc four times a week.

That chart is really good.

Really bell pepper needs to be fed daily so they get vitamin C. It's a staple, along with lettuce.

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
My mom is picking some up at the store tonight. I have checked out the chart and I will definitly use it. thankyou for your advice @madelineelaine

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I discovered that my pigs like(cringe, yes I was bad)Dole outshine fruit and juice pineapple bar(a popcicle). They all loved it, cold,sweet and tart all at the same time. No cherries for them tonight.

mellie_88

Cavy Slave
I thought I read somewhere that you weren't meant to feed tomatoes too often. Thought it could cause ulcers or something??

madison45

Cavy Slave
My boy love parsley,carrots and tomatoes. Its so funny to watch him roll around a little red ball!

Sabrina Clayton

Cavy Slave
Both of mine LOVE kale, green peppers, and tomatoes. Lemmy is also a huge fan of cucumber. Charlie likes broccoli and cauliflower, but Lemmy will eat it once everything else is gone lol.

Does anyone else cut the veggies up? I feel like I spoil my boys a little too much lol. I'll rip up the lettuce a bit but everything else I cut into bite-sized pieces. Or if it's something new that they turn their noses up at, I'll use my food chopper to get it nice and small so they can't help but get a piece here or there with other bites (that's how Charlie fell in love with cauliflower hehe). The one time I gave them a cherry tomato without cutting it, they kind of stuck their teeth in it and then pushed it around confusedly.

photosavvy

Cavy Slave
Both of mine LOVE kale, green peppers, and tomatoes. Lemmy is also a huge fan of cucumber. Charlie likes broccoli and cauliflower, but Lemmy will eat it once everything else is gone lol.

Does anyone else cut the veggies up? I feel like I spoil my boys a little too much lol. I'll rip up the lettuce a bit but everything else I cut into bite-sized pieces. Or if it's something new that they turn their noses up at, I'll use my food chopper to get it nice and small so they can't help but get a piece here or there with other bites (that's how Charlie fell in love with cauliflower hehe). The one time I gave them a cherry tomato without cutting it, they kind of stuck their teeth in it and then pushed it around confusedly.

I cut mine up too.

3.littlepigs

Cavy Slave
Bear's favourite is spinach, George's is cucumber and Iorek will eat more or less anything lol

TheMuffinPiggy

Cavy Slave
Muffin LOVES her leafy greens - so all lettuces, kale, carrot tops, herbs, etc, blueberries, and pepper.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Oh, heavens no! The rind is what they really like.....not the flesh. My cavies' absolute favorite is canteloupe rind.......it's like "piggy crack" for them. :cool:

I didn't give mine the cantaloupe rind, I will the next time. I have froze chunks of the watermelon rind and gave it to them, besides normal pieces.

ssssarah

Cavy Slave
my girls love lettuce more than anything, it took me weeks to get them to branch out. but they also LOVE corn husk, watermelon, bell peppers, cucumber, and cherry tomatoes. they're not that crazy about carrots, but they'll munch on them while im cutting their nails, don't know why. they also like apples a lot, but it's weird - sometimes they'll only eat the peeling of the apple, and sometimes they'll eat the inside and leave the peeling.

NJPKL

Cavy Slave
Oh, heavens no! The rind is what they really like.....not the flesh. My cavies' absolute favorite is canteloupe rind.......it's like "piggy crack" for them. :cool:

I put a watermelon rind in their cage and it was gone by the time I went back into the room to see if they enjoyed it. Answer: heck yeah! LOL Thanks for the tip!

LuisaSpike

Cavy Slave
I would have to say watermelon is my piggies' absolute favorite, followed closely by grapes, apples, and bell peppers. My girls will eat pretty much anything you put in front of them, including non-edible substances, yet the one thing that Spike absolutely refuses to eat is her vitamin C tablet...

clb89

Cavy Slave
Thunder loves his green peppers and green lettuce. Lightning likes all his veggies, but loves his hay. He will take hay from my hand as a treat, and yes he has hay in cage all day, just loves his hay lol.

aspecht

Cavy Slave
Hay is by far the one thing my two boys with ALWAYS eat. They also really like kale, but I only feed that every other day or every third day. They LOVE carrots, and generally I give them some daily. They just had yellow bell peppers for the first time tonight, and they lasted maybe two minutes! Gonna say that may be one of their new favorites! They've also had kiwi, but don't seem over enthused about it lol. They also like romaine lettuce, but not as much as the kale.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.