Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Weird squeaking noise coming from one of my cavies

chirres

Cavy Slave
I woke up at three in the morning to a squeaking noise comin from one of my guinea pigs. It was from my baby Florence, who I have had for a month. It kind of sounded like wet boots on tile? I have a video, but my phone won't upload it and it's pitch black. She stopped as soon as I got up from the bed, but I was able to turn the lights on which is how I know it was coming from her. Any ideas what the noise was and what it means?

As I was writing this she began doing it again, though this time she stopped after a second and it was much quieter. She's also usually very quiet so hearing this noise was super weird.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
It might have been chirping, there are plenty of videos and sound clips of guinea pigs chirping if you look it up, but most people liken it to a sound a bird would make. Chirping usually happens when it is dark and the guinea pigs will typically stop if they sense movement or if a light is turned on, but as they go into a trance like state when doing it they sometimes may not notice you moving or turning on a light. All other guinea pigs who can hear the chirping also usually freeze in place.

If it is chirping then no one has any solid idea of what it means, so your guess is as good as anyone else's. Some swear it is triggered by fear, others claim it means they are happy, some think it is them calling the mothership, other still claim there is no noticeable trigger.

Some guinea pigs will never chirp in their entire lives, some will only do it once or twice, others still will do it very frequently.

DonkeyBrainz

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig, Poppins, makes wet boot noises all the time. I think it's chirping, like Soecara said. He usually seems fine when he does it. He's the most talkative pig I've ever met! He makes every single sound I've read about. He was very quiet at first, though. It took him about a month to start being really vocal. My other pig, Buster, only wheeks and chuts and a few other sounds. I think some guinea pigs are just more vocal than others. I'd just say enjoy it! She's probably happy lol

I don't know how to post recordings on here or I would post Poppins' chirping for you to compare...can anyone help?

DonkeyBrainz

Cavy Slave
Poppins making lots of noises. I think he was chirping at the very beginning:

[video=youtube_share;0CcdmooS7kE]https://youtu.be/0CcdmooS7kE[/video]

DonkeyBrainz

Cavy Slave
Sorry XD Thank you for correcting me. I thought he sounded alot like wet boots squeaking on the floor, but yes, I can see now he definitely wasn't chirping. I think I misread the previous post. What would you call the sounds he made?

I'm pretty sure Poppins chirps like a bird every morning at 2 tho. I've been waking up to that almost every night for the past 3 weeks. There are no birds around and it stops when I get up. My boyfriend said it couldn't possibly be a guinea pig and also that I'm crazy...

chirres

Cavy Slave
[video=youtube;avz0ZVfJKII]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avz0ZVfJKII&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Sorry to get back to this so late! Here's the video of Florence making the noise!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
She's chirping.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.