Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rescues We saw a Guinea Pig in the bushes at a local garden/theme park! What do we do?

SciGirl

Cavy Slave
My husband and daughters are at the park right now.
They saw an adult guinea pig in the bushes.
I called the main switchboard and they didn't know what to do. They said that there are wild bunnies in the bushes and the grounds keepers will probably ignore a guinea pig.

Should we try to catch it? Is it safe there?
It is warm here in South Texas. It isn't as warm as a native climate, but it isn't cold at all outside.

Please help!

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
Okay, I think the best thing to do would be to try to catch it and turn it in to a local shelter. I doubt the guinea pig will live long outside. Someone probably dumped them because they didn't want them anymore. Its sad how people treat animals. It makes me sick :(

SciGirl

Cavy Slave
First, thank you so much for the quick response.
Here is something slightly ok- the park is known for edible plants. (It is literally living in carrots right now.)

Do Guinea Pigs in the wild even exist in Texas? I'm a little concerned about it biting them.
Can Guinea Pigs carry diseases?

We have rescue pigs and I just HATE that people can be mean. It would be SO weird to drop it off at this park...
It is an Aquarium/Rain-forest place...

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
First, thank you so much for the quick response.
Here is something slightly ok- the park is known for edible plants. (It is literally living in carrots right now.)

Do Guinea Pigs in the wild even exist in Texas? I'm a little concerned about it biting them.
Can Guinea Pigs carry diseases?

We have rescue pigs and I just HATE that people can be mean. It would be SO weird to drop it off at this park...
It is an Aquarium/Rain-forest place...

Guinea pigs aren't supposed to live in the wild in Texas. And natural predators could eat him. Could you call some sort of animal service to catch him for you? You could use a box to catch him and put him in it. Then its less likely he could bite. They could carry mites, I don't know of any human diseases they carry, but a shelter would be able to treat him. Just don't keep him around your/other pigs.

SciGirl

Cavy Slave
First, you rock for all of your advice.
I've been trying to talk my hub through catching it with a shirt. (Our local animal shelter, who we volunteer for, won't take pigs. Boo!)

HAPPY UPDATE:
Because of my call, 3 biologists and a supervisor were out there trying to catch him/her.
They said that the pig would have a warm home tonight and that it was lined up to be adopted by one of the employees.
They even let one of my girls name it.
A good ending for a wee little life.
Thank you again for your help. Learning about the mites was REALLY valuable!

Beatrix187

Cavy Slave
No problem! I'm glad I could help and that the piggy is safe and going to a happy home! :) You may want to give him a checkup to make sure he has no illness as well :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.