Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Washing Fleece Options

vivian5

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone! I have a question about options for washing fleece.

I just switched my three girls over to fleece but I have a dilemma. I do not have a washing machine at home. I have to take my clothes to a laundromat. However, the laundromat is expensive so I am looking for other options for my girls' cage liners.

Should I buy a portable washing machine from Amazon or should I attempt to handwash?

Any advice and suggestions are welcome! Also, if you have any recommendations for portable washing machines, please let me know!

TIA

Mizz P

Cavy Slave
I imagine handwashing would be immensely inefficient and difficult. For example, if you put the fleece in the bathtub to wash the amount of water and wringing required plus your time doing these activities... I have no experience with the portable-type washers but it would need to be able to handle the weight of fully water-logged fleece, especially for spin cycles, which is similar to a wet comforter. Also, if you pay for your water, the laundromat might actually be most cost effective.

Zigg

Cavy Gazer
Hello everyone! I have a question about options for washing fleece.

I just switched my three girls over to fleece but I have a dilemma. I do not have a washing machine at home. I have to take my clothes to a laundromat. However, the laundromat is expensive so I am looking for other options for my girls' cage liners.

Should I buy a portable washing machine from Amazon or should I attempt to handwash?

Any advice and suggestions are welcome! Also, if you have any recommendations for portable washing machines, please let me know!

TIA
Probably not the response you're looking for, but I use fleece for my guys and have found the laundromat to be more cost-effective and efficient than washing the fleece at home. I have a relatively new washer and it still took several cycles to get the fleece clean. I was also concerned about the wear and tear on the washer.

I take all the fleece to the laundromat once every 2 weeks and throw it in a large washer for $9.50. If I dry it at the laundromat it's another $1.50, but you could bring them home and hang to dry. Even if I washed the fleece every week, I'd still spend less than if I were buying bedding. Also, I have a Texel (long, curly hair) who is no longer covered in bedding.

I currently have 3 boars and 2 cages (had 2 pairs until last month when 1 of my guys passed). The fleece was an investment in the beginning, but it holds up well. All of their bedding is over a year old, some ~3 years, and they still look new.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.