Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Liners Cotton or fleece?

gpihgos

Cavy Slave
My grammy made me a cotton liner for the Guinea pig cage and it works amazingly. I am thinking about transferring all of my bedding to cotton.

Before i do so, do you guys think it is a good idea? I have seen things about cotton being wet, but whenever I have touched it, it doesn’t feel wet. If I squeeze it, it does feel wet though.

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Fleece is used because it wicks the liquid through to an absorbent layer beneath quickly, and dries just as quickly. Cotton does not. It may feel dry but as soon as pressure is applied it will, as you've found out, ooze out.

I'd stick with fleece.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
I would use the cotton along with fleece. Cover about 3/4 of the cotton with fleece, and use the cotton space for a hay pile. The hay doesn’t stick to woven cotton like it does fleece.

When I make corner pads for my cage I use fleece on one side and cotton or flannel on the other, with an absorbent layer in the middle.

gpihgos

Cavy Slave
I actually love that idea. That’s smart

SunflowerDreamer

Cavy Gazer
Taking that idea as well. That's a good one.

ItsaZoo

Cavy Slave
Gpihgos, if your Grammy has any leftover fabric from the sewing project, there might be enough to make a little coordinated corner hidey/hammock. I cut squares of leftover fabric and use binder clips or curtain rings to clip them in the corners. It’s so much fun decorating the piggie cage

Attachments

IMG_2004.jpeg

SSLee

Cavy Slave
@ItsaZoo, your piggy cage looks so cozy. I don't sew but my sister does and I'm hoping she will help me sew some cotton pads to put hay piles on. Thank you for the information about the cotton for hay piles.