Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

WANTED: Boar Stories

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
We are doing the Pet Expo in a couple of weeks and we want to do a display board dedicated to boars. This came up when when one of our volunteers found out that a local shelter was telling people that boars will fight to the death and refused to adopt out a boar to a woman because she was going to pair him with her current boar at home. We want to educate people.

SO....we are looking for boar stories about how your guys get along. It would be even better if you have 3+ boars living happily together. All we need is a very brief description, or story and a picture.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this is what you want but.....

This is Oko and Hamilton. They are both adult boars whom have injoyed eachothers company for about 2years. Not one fight has happened as long as they are in a suitible cage like theres:

They never fight in this cage and have been the best of friends. Boars loves comapny! Doesn't matter what cage or breed. Everyone needs a friend.Okay - anything else just let me know.

I only have 2 boars and they are brothers. They get along just fine. I have never seen them fight. I have seen them rumble and mount and chase each other and steal food out of each other's mouths, but I think that would happen with girlies too.
Here they are sharing come cilantro. They are now 13 months old. I got them when they were 20 days old.

They have a 2x4 main area with a 2x2 kitchen and a 1x3 loft. I am fixing to expand the main area to 2x5 and reduce the loft to 1x2.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I am looking for. Keep 'em coming!

This is Jr. and Son-of-a-Pig, before coming to me they shared a 2 by 3 and got along good, but now they happily share a 2 by 5 and get along great, they are not the most lovey dovey pigs ever but like each others company and every now and again can be seen dropping thier macho man fronts and cuddling.

These are great stories! I'd love to help, but my boar is paired with a spayed female - would that help or hinder?

I have 2 boars, brothers. They don't fight though they will get in each other's way. In a toddler I want the toy he's playing with type of way. Here they are eating together:

(I had another one but it wouldn't shrink down. The link:
https://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g53/ljschleif/Bogie_Gable2.jpg
They don't cuddle together but will lay near each other and share veggies pretty nicely. I think they get along fine together as long as they have ample space and they get more than ample love.:love:

Last edited:
These are great stories! I'd love to help, but my boar is paired with a spayed female - would that help or hinder?

We really just need to educate people about boars living with other boars. But thank you.

That's Gizmo, Picadilly, and Mogwai, they've lived together for about a year now, and really seem to enjoy each other's company. I'll frequently find 2 or all of them hanging out in the hay box together. They liked each other's company so much, that even when living with spayed females, they'd prefer to hang out with each other!

When Pica had his last xrays and was kept by himself in a quarantine cage to make sure he woke up alright, he was very upset that his buddies were gone! He wheeked and wheeked to try to find them. And once they heard him, they started a chorus right back!

This is Toby and Ralphie. Ralphie is four and Toby is a little over a year. When I first put them together it was like magic. They got along great and have never seen them fight or do anything like that. They have no problem with eachother and they just seemed like they have known eachother all their lives.

Hope this is something you can use.

My guys get along great.!!:D

We had our first boar for over a year before we added the second, younger boar. They are now 2 years 6 months and 1 year 3 months. We worried about adding the second boar because we had the first one for so long by himself and we had heard the warnings that "boars will fight". We decided to follow the advice of this website and introduced the two fellows to each other almost a year ago. It has been a wonderful year....no fights.....just a little "posturing". Our original piggy is so much happier with his buddy. Here's a picture of them snuggling together in my recliner while I was cleaning their cage. Hope this helps.

Sorry I don't have any pictures but here is our story:

I purchased Rocky from PetSmart on July 4, 2006 and after educating myself on cavies I decided he needed a buddy so I adopted Boomer from The Critter Connection in Connecticut in February, 2007. When they first were introduced they did the whole dominance thing, but no fighting. They get along great, but they are not lovey dovey with each other - too masculine for that I guess. They do share their veggies out of the same bowl now too. They love to play with each other and chase each other around their 2X4 CC Cage. They are the same age too - 10 months old.

Hope this helps.

We have 2 boars, Arnold and Alex. They are father and son even though there is only a four month difference in their ages. We adopted them when they were 9 months and 5 months old. The only problem we have had with fighting occurred when little Alex hit puberty, and even then it was not serious. Providing a large living space for them solved the problem. They get along wonderfully and lately they have even started taking turns being leader of the piggie train. Here's a photo of them snuggled in their beds for a little nap:

Thank you everyone for all the pictures and stories. We have this same request posted on The Pigloo and Guinea Lynx and been getting a lot or response. We will picking 6-8 pictures to put on the display board. I think maybe we will put the rest in a little book. I would hat to not use all the stories and pictures everyone has given us.

Keep 'em coming.

These pictures feature my three boars, Cocoa(Smooth Haired), Pippin(Abby), and Samwise(Abyruvian). Before Samwise passed away, these three got along so well, and Cocoa and Pippin still get along very well. They absolutely loved to create little piggy trains and follow one another around, and Samwise and Pippin were especially best friends, and it was not rare tp find them napping together. During puberty, Cocoa and Pippin loathed each other, but it was like once they were a year old, they were best friends. My three boys are living proof that boars can be very good friends.

Doc...some how I missed yours. I am just seeing it now. Sorry.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who sent in a story. We received so many from this site, as well as GL and The Pigloo. We used as many as we could. My original thought was that we might put together a book as well, but I ended up not having enough time. So, without further ado...here is what it ended up looking like:

I used to have two boars but one died. But my older boar was very nice to the younger one who died of a virus. They lived in seperate cages and thay got along great at floor time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.