Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fur Stinky, greasy boar

4boipigs

Valued Contributor
Cavy Slave
Trishula has always been kind of nasty since I got him in March. His fur was greasy-feeling and it hasn't improved like everyone else's. He also sheds more than anyone else. His butt pocket was nasty when I got it him, and it still is. I noticed it has a lot of little white bumps, which I've seen in a LAGPR video before. Sometimes when I pick him up, I get a whiff of something nasty that I can't find. I'm debating a vet visit, because otherwise he seems perfectly fine. Should I go, or is this simply the fate of owning boars?

Can you describe the nasty smell a little bit more? For my nose, I can distinguish between these four broad smell types:
  • infection - hard to miss that kind of smell, like the stuff from an abscess or infection, pus.
  • yeasty - I think women can pick up on this more than men, but it can be obnoxious, too.
  • musky - that boar smell that can be very skunk-like and very obnoxious
  • poopy - no need to describe that, but old poops or old urine exposure that manages to cling
Some combination? Something else?

I assume he's had a bath? Is the grease gland particularly built-up and sticky?

What's his general diet and who does he live with? Lots of grass hay available that he eats?

After some thinking, I think it's just a general boar smell. It's similar to when I tried to bond my two boars and the room was getting stunk up by them.

I haven't bathed him. His grease gland isn't bad at all.

Trishula lives in a split c&c next to his friend I tried to bond him w/, but they decided they rather fight and not get along. They get Oxbow pellets, SPS hay, and various veggies every other day. The shelter thinks Trishula is 2 to 3 yrs old, and his cagemate is around 8 months.

Yeah, if there is a male pig that he is in contention with, the smell will frequently be more intense because his "maleness" is in a rather ongoing state of agitation. Lordy when they let it go full tilt in the heat of battle so to speak, I've been like "what skunk died?" Open the windows! Very powerful stuff at times. "Farty-musky-skunky" is how I would describe it. o_O The 8-month-old is in prime hormonal time which is probably triggering Trishula even more. It will settle down over time, for sure.

Giving them both a bath might help mitigate their stimulating each other for a bit because of the scents given off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.