Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C want to make my cage larger but no room to expand?

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
I have 2 guinea pigs and shortly after getting them i had realized they were different genders. So i had to turn their 3 x 3 c&c cage that they shared into half that, one half for each. The cage is in the middle of my living room and takes up enough room as it is, what can i do to make it seem bigger/ make it bigger without taking up too much room in my house or is it enough room for them? i do open the middle of the cage once and a while to let them interact with each other when supervised and they run a bit during this time. PLEASE HELP ME ! THANKS SO MUCH ! ~my guineas love you !:)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you're letting them interact at all, you're asking for trouble. It takes only seconds for guinea pigs to do the deed, and you wouldn't be able to stop them.

A 1.5x3 isn't big enough for either of them. Can you make a 2x3, or another 3x3, and stack them?

pinky

Cavy Slave
You can either have your male neutered or you could add a second level and have one on the bottom level and one on the top. If you can afford to have him neutered, that's what I would do since they are social animals. You're taking a chance by letting them interact. You don't want an accidental pregnancy.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
well the base is made of wood because we don't have coroplast where i live and possibly but my parents really hate the idea of MORE cage in the room, it being too tall will block the view of my television.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
i don't think neutering is an option for us, do you think adding a small loft on each side would help to make the cage larger? even by just a little bit?

lissie

Cavy Slave
If you're doing that, the ramp actually takes away space. The cage in the sample pic is 2x3 for each pig, so it's enough for each pig.

If you add lofts, the cage will be taller too.
Have you thought of doing this? It would still be the same height with the loft.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You could make the divided cage with lofts work better by having the ramp in the middle of each cage rather than down one side -- that way they can run around it.

You also don't have to have the ramp come all the way down to the floor. Mine have to jump about 5 inches to get the ramp on one level, and about 7 on the the other. You can support the bottom end with something small (but easily visible), and it won't take up much room at all.

rainbowswirl97

Cavy Slave
thank you a lot bpatters that was really helpful ! and jumping gives them exercise to!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.