Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopting Want to adopt.. need to move first!

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Got your PM. :)

gertieshmertz

Cavy Slave
If that was a possibility for you I could definitely meet with you somewhere out here, and take her. If I had a car that could even make the trip I would be getting her myself. I would give you what it cost to adopt her obviously, and depending on how much her adoption fee is, I can most likely give you some money for gas also if you needed. I showed my mom her picture and the picture of the boys, and she got so sad that we had no way to get out there to adopt her. We were even thinking that if we could have gotten out there, we would have adopted the boys to try and find them a home too. If this is truly a possibility, I want you to know that I am 100% down meeting with you somewhere to adopt her :) :) :)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
If that was a possibility for you I could definitely meet with you somewhere out here, and take her. If I had a car that could even make the trip I would be getting her myself. I would give you what it cost to adopt her obviously, and depending on how much her adoption fee is, I can most likely give you some money for gas also if you needed. I showed my mom her picture and the picture of the boys, and she got so sad that we had no way to get out there to adopt her. We were even thinking that if we could have gotten out there, we would have adopted the boys to try and find them a home too. If this is truly a possibility, I want you to know that I am 100% down meeting with you somewhere to adopt her :) :) :)

We would have to get permission from the rescue to do it. I don't know if they'd let us. I don't know if they'd even allow an out of state adoption. Rescues all have different rules they put in place to try to protect their animals. Our local rescue did allow a woman to adopt a cat for her ill mother who was unable to come into the rescue. But, that was a special circumstance. I guess we'll have to wait and see. You'll also need permission from the homeowner (I'm guessing your parents) to proceed with an adoption. So, make sure they are behind you 100%.

gertieshmertz

Cavy Slave
Yea my mom said that if they do allow out of state adoptions, and for you to be able to meet in kc somewhere, than she would be very happy. I'm 18 so they pretty much let me do my own thing animal wise, as long as I can afford it, and it doesn't bother them. My little sister (midteens) also said that she could be in her room for quarantine before I do introductions. This is all IF the shelter gives permission and you decide you still want to adopt the boys. I'm making sure not to get to excited because it's never a for sure thing. But IF we do get permission and you still want to do it, I'm not sure where in Iowa you live, but if you would be taking I-70 freeway, I live right near there, so we would be able to meet without you going way off path. Again, I want you to know I'm not like expecting this, you even betting that it will happen. I'm just an over preplanner lol

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Yea my mom said that if they do allow out of state adoptions, and for you to be able to meet in kc somewhere, than she would be very happy. I'm 18 so they pretty much let me do my own thing animal wise, as long as I can afford it, and it doesn't bother them. My little sister (midteens) also said that she could be in her room for quarantine before I do introductions. This is all IF the shelter gives permission and you decide you still want to adopt the boys. I'm making sure not to get to excited because it's never a for sure thing. But IF we do get permission and you still want to do it, I'm not sure where in Iowa you live, but if you would be taking I-70 freeway, I live right near there, so we would be able to meet without you going way off path. Again, I want you to know I'm not like expecting this, you even betting that it will happen. I'm just an over preplanner lol

I am in central Iowa (by Des Moines), so I would take I35 to I70 (I believe it's I70 that goes to Manhattan). If they truly are at risk of euthanasia (because of lack of interest in their adoption) I am completely onboard to get them all. I drive down to KC all the time, so it's not that much farther to Manhattan. Mapquest says the whole trip would be just under 5 hrs one way. I can easily do that in a day. I don't really have the room to take on boys (my herd is all girls). But, I won't let anything bad happen to them, now that I know they need help.

I should add, I can make it work in a way that is still giving the boys a high quality of life. I'll just need to get another C&C and rearrange some stuff.

Last edited:

gertieshmertz

Cavy Slave
Yesterday when I first saw the girl and both boys, I almost got a hold of my friends mom, who has 2 boys, to see if she wanted try and adopt with me, but, and this may sound bad and I don't mean it to, she isn't a very good pet owner, let alone guinea pig owner. She is definitely a novelty pet kind of person. She put her boys in a Midwest cage, which I know is decent, but she paid 2 times as much as she would have for c&c stuff, and the boys are very very territorial. They get hay when it is convenient, and only give lettuce (I think iceburg) and carrots. So I'm glad I didn't call her, so maybe you will be able to give them a great home, where they will be cared for :)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Yesterday when I first saw the girl and both boys, I almost got a hold of my friends mom, who has 2 boys, to see if she wanted try and adopt with me, but, and this may sound bad and I don't mean it to, she isn't a very good pet owner, let alone guinea pig owner. She is definitely a novelty pet kind of person. She put her boys in a Midwest cage, which I know is decent, but she paid 2 times as much as she would have for c&c stuff, and the boys are very very territorial. They get hay when it is convenient, and only give lettuce (I think iceburg) and carrots. So I'm glad I didn't call her, so maybe you will be able to give them a great home, where they will be cared for :)

Have you talked with her about how bad iceberg is, and the importance of hay? There is a huge learning curve for people when they first get pigs. Most of what they "think" they know is wrong.

skbrodie - Any news?

gertieshmertz

Cavy Slave
Have you talked with her about how bad iceberg is, and the importance of hay? There is a huge learning curve for people when they first get pigs. Most of what they "think" they know is wrong.
?

Yea I tell her every time I see them, she says she now feeds them romaine mostly, but they still do iceburg every now and then. She's a "grown woman" and had a guinea pig 15 years ago so she must know so much more than an 18 y.o. Luckily, her son listens to me, and at least is growing grass in his window sill for them. She is the kind of person that went to the pound and decided to get a dog one day, and then got bored and never trained him or anything. The only reason she got her boys, is because they are the brothers of my girls, and her daughter thought they were cute and got them for her mom. The pigs were cool for all of 3 weeks, and then she pawned them off on her son. At least he listens and researched. She wanted to give them horse penicillin for white pee. I had to sit down and tell her 1, that will kill them, and 2, it was just calcium, and to stoff feeding carrots and cilantro every day, 4 times a day

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
Just read the thread, I love how everyone is coming together to give these piggies a home. Sending good piggy thoughts that they say you can do out of state adoptions!:love:

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
After talking with skbrodie we found out that out of state adoptions are allowed. At the same time, the pigs are not in danger of euthanasia. Since it's not an urgent emergency, at this time, I'll probably just keep an eye on the website. My August is going to be fairly busy, as will my early September. If they're still there in late September or early October, and depending on my schedule, I'll PM you gertieschmertz to see if we can work something out. Gertieschmertz, if you end up going to Manhattan before that to pick up the girl, let me know.

UchihaMickey

Cavy Slave
YAYY ;D Sending good piggy thoughts that all works out :D lol

gertieshmertz

Cavy Slave
Cool :) if I end up finding a way to get over there, I'll definitely message you :)

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Cool :) if I end up finding a way to get over there, I'll definitely message you :)

That would be awesome thank you. It would be easier to fit a 5 hr trip into my schedule than a 10 hr, but again once I get through all this craziness of school starting, a trip to Orlando in Sept, a trip to Tulsa in Sept and a potential trip piggy train to PA, I'll have a lot more free time to think about getting down to Manhattan.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.