Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Want another guinea pig for the herd

Piggyprincess2

Cavy Slave
I currently have two female guinea pigs each about almost two years old. I have a cool DIY cage being built from a dresser. I was looking at some rescues and I really think I want to adopt another pig. I would want them all to be in a herd though, and I'm not really sure how introducing them will be, and all three sharing a cage. I guess I'm just trying to say that I'm not sure how owning a herd of pigs will be and the responsibility of it. I'll watch some videos and do a little bit of research, but if anybody has suggestions let me know! Or on how to introduce pigs; Especially two pigs to one new one.:confused:

CavyTV

Cavy Slave
I've never had a herd before, but I know they require a lot more room. I would suggest a boar as the 3rd pig as this will most likely mean less bickering. For some reason, adding a male to a pair of females or a herd of females really helps with how they work out the hierarchy and makes it easier for them to get along. You can certainly get a 3rd female if you prefer, but just be ready. I think the easiest way to get a 3rd pig that will get along no problem with your 2 girls is to take them "piggie dating". It's probably more common in all-guinea pig shelters, but maybe you'll get lucky with the regular ones. Just ask if you can have your girls pick out their own buddy. That way, you won't have to do introductions when you get home because you'll be doing it at the shelter.

If not "piggie dating", then I'd just suggest to bond them like you would with a pair of guinea pigs. This link really helps: https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html.

I've also heard of people introducing their pigs to the newbie one by one. They would set up a neutral area somewhere, no toys or hideys or anything, and they would introduce one pig at a time to the newbie. Then, once everything looked okay they added their 2nd pig, and then their 3rd, etc. You can do that, but I think you may have a better shot at just doing it like you're introducing a pair. Put the new pig in the neutral area, and then put your 2 girls in. Maybe you will wanna try rubbing some hay from the cage on the newbie so he/she smells like the pair you already have. That might help.

For 3 guinea pigs, they should AT LEAST get a space equal to a 2x5 (28in.x70in.). More is always better. Try to go as big as you can. You may find yourself having to expand in the future because you started out with the minimum cage size but your herd started to not get along. One of the most common reasons guinea pigs fight is because of the little cage space they have. It also comes down to their personalities. Piggie dating should help with that. If you know which one of your girls is more dominant, get a submissive pig (if you're getting a 3rd female. A male will most likely take the boss role automatically unless you have a really dominant female). If both of your pigs are submissive, get a dominant pig so there's order.

Good luck!

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Maybe you will wanna try rubbing some hay from the cage on the newbie so he/she smells like the pair you already have.

One other suggestion that comes from a breeder with whom I'm acquainted. She says to put a dab of vanilla on everyone's nose and bum. My current boys are from different litters and their first meeting was at my house. They were both so young that I don't know if it was sheer fright and loneliness that caused them to bond......or perhaps the vanilla had the desired effect. In any event, they didn't require a formal introduction and bonded quickly.

Older cavies probably need the formal introduction route. Others don't. Sometimes, it can truly be love-at-first-sight as it was with my Chester and Maya. Chester had been a lone piggy after his brother died a year ago. I had forgotten to tell my husband that we needed to do a formal introduction. I was sitting on the sofa with Maya in my lap and Gary walks in carrying Chester and sits next to us. Chester looked over and realized that he wasn't the only piggy in the world......and was instantly smitten.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know that a boar would be any easier than another sow -- it depends almost totally on the personality of the pigs, not the sex.

What you should be prepared for is LONG introductions. Don't try to rush it -- do it at a time when you can leave them in a LARGE neutral area for several hours before putting them in the pen. The last time I introduced a twosome to a single I think I left them in the neutral area 10-11 hours before putting them in the cage, and then waiting about three more hours before I finally went to bed and left them to it.

Piggyprincess2

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all the suggestions! The dimensions for my new cage will be 15" by 30" but there are two floors, adding up to 30" by 60" total. Do you think that'd work? I will probably end up setting up a temporary cage for the new one to keep him in the first few days. I read somewhere that for the first week you should keep the new guinea pig in his own cage then introduce them in a neutral area. Would you suggest that? I want it to run as smoothly as possible, and I don't want to stress the pig out! Maybe I'm just being really paranoid that it won't work out. After all, I don't really have the room for an extra cage, but if its temporarily needed then I can work something out.

Another random question, rescues usually neuter their boar correct? And if the boar is neutered then my girls don't have to be spayed right? I'm just thinking about getting a boar, but I guess to me it doesn't particularly matter which gender I get. I'll research some more.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
That's not nearly large enough for one pig, much less three. You have 3.75 square feet. One pig needs 7.5, two pigs need about 10, and three pigs need 12 or more. Please do NOT add another pig to that cage. Two floors of that amounts to either 15'x60", or 30"x30", not 30"x60".

Two floors are not suitable for guinea pigs. The ramps are just an invitation to squabble, and they need a large flat space to run.

Rescues do NOT usually neuter boars -- most don't have the funds to do so. A few do, but not many.

You don't need to keep the new one separated unless you're quarantining. If you get a pig from a reputable source, you can skip quarantine. If not, keep the new pig in a separate room for three weeks to make sure you're not contaminating your existing pigs with some disease the new one has been exposed to.

And again, please do NOT add another pig to that cage, and see if you can't unstack the layers and give the two you've got the room they need

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.