Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Visit to the Exotic Vet

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Today my piggy Muffin was diagnosed she is too fat and has possible ovarian cyst. Her surgery is scheduled. vet1.jpgvet2.jpgvet3.jpgvet4.jpg

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear she has to have surgery. Just curious, how much did she weigh? She doesn't look all that fat to me. :)

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Muffin is precious, I hope all goes well! :)

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
Sorry to hear she has to have surgery. Just curious, how much did she weigh? She doesn't look all that fat to me. :)

She weights around 1240. I am scared about the surgery bit both of my other piggies had the same thing so I know the after care:)

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
She is beautiful. I agree, from those pictures she doesn't look overweight. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers for a uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Lol, she was so fat that x ray could not see anything:) Thank you so much!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
1240 grams is NOT overweight. Too many vets take their weight recommendations from veterinary books, which are reporting on the weights of lab animals, not pets. Guinea pigs lose weight very quickly when they're ill, and having a few extra ounces at the onset may make a difference in life or death if it's a serious illness. I would NOT put my pig on a diet at 1240 grams. In fact, both my sows are nearly 1350 grams, and they're just fine.

Also, I wouldn't be putting my pig through surgery for a "possible" ovarian cyst. She'd have to have a verified one, or other mass, before I'd do that.

What's most worrisome is that this was apparently diagnosed by x-ray, which is ineffective for soft tissue problems. The method of choice for diagnosing cysts/tumors/unknown masses is ultrasound.

Is this an exotic vet? If not, how many guinea pigs does s/he see, and how often/how many times has s/he done this surgery?

I'd be asking a LOT more questions before I took my pig in for this operation.

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
1240 grams is NOT overweight. Too many vets take their weight recommendations from veterinary books, which are reporting on the weights of lab animals, not pets. Guinea pigs lose weight very quickly when they're ill, and having a few extra ounces at the onset may make a difference in life or death if it's a serious illness. I would NOT put my pig on a diet at 1240 grams. In fact, both my sows are nearly 1350 grams, and they're just fine.

Also, I wouldn't be putting my pig through surgery for a "possible" ovarian cyst. She'd have to have a verified one, or other mass, before I'd do that.

We have a great exotic vet that does spay and removing of cyst. 2 of my piggies both had cyst and they were spayed in the process. She was scheduled

What's most worrisome is that this was apparently diagnosed by x-ray, which is ineffective for soft tissue problems. The method of choice for diagnosing cysts/tumors/unknown masses is ultrasound.

Is this an exotic vet? If not, how many guinea pigs does s/he see, and how often/how many times has s/he done this surgery?

I'd be asking a LOT more questions before I took my pig in for this operation.

She is great exotic vet only sees small mammals, I trust her diagnosis. Both of my other piggies had ovarian cyst and surgeries were successful. I trust my vet 100% I live in New York city and we have great exotic vets here. Her spay surgery was already scheduled so it works out perfectly.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
Why is your vet starting with surgery? Have you tried injections? Around here surgery is saved as a last resort since death is always a real risk for surgery. Even minor surgery can result in death. We had a horse die who had her tooth pulled.

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
Why is your vet starting with surgery? Have you tried injections? Around here surgery is saved as a last resort since death is always a real risk for surgery. Even minor surgery can result in death. We had a horse die who had her tooth pulled.

I live in New York and we have some great exotic vets here. My vet recommended surgery he does them weekly and his very good. He also operated 2 other of my piggies and they were both success. I mean the risk is always there for any surgery, but my vet said injections do not take issue away and spaying is good for females generally.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
I live in New York and we have some great exotic vets here. My vet recommended surgery he does them weekly and his very good. He also operated 2 other of my piggies and they were both success. I mean the risk is always there for any surgery, but my vet said injections do not take issue away and spaying is good for females generally.

Injections don't take away the cyst, but they stop the symptoms and keep it from growing. I've used them on two pigs. I've had a pig spayed, so I know the process, but her's was because of a tumor. I'd never do it as an elective, or as the first step in the case of a cyst. But, that's just me and the experiences I've had with my vets who are at a very well rated vet med program (so I trust them). I grew up on a large farm, and have dealt with hundreds of animals over my life, so I tend to prefer to be cautious because I've seen just about everything go wrong that can go wrong and when they die because of a choice you've made... it's very unsettling.

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
Injections don't take away the cyst, but they stop the symptoms and keep it from growing. I've used them on two pigs. I've had a pig spayed, so I know the process, but her's was because of a tumor. I'd never do it as an elective, or as the first step in the case of a cyst. But, that's just me and the experiences I've had with my vets who are at a very well rated vet med program (so I trust them). I grew up on a large farm, and have dealt with hundreds of animals over my life, so I tend to prefer to be cautious because I've seen just about everything go wrong that can go wrong and when they die because of a choice you've made... it's very unsettling.

You're response is unsettling and extremely rude. I love my pets and take very good care of them.

ClemmyOddieIndy

Cavy Slave
You're response is unsettling and extremely rude. I love my pets and take very good care of them.

Huh? Where did I say you don't? I find this response kind of rude considering I never said anything negative about you.

pigmommy89

Cavy Slave
@EllaBellaMuffin at the end of the day she is your baby, so you do what you feel is right. At least if she's spayed you never have to worry about cysts again. If you trust your vet, go for it. Some rescues spay and neuter all their pigs, so while it can be risky, there are some who think it's worthwhile. I'm still on the fence myself.

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Slave
@EllaBellaMuffin at the end of the day she is your baby, so you do what you feel is right. At least if she's spayed you never have to worry about cysts again. If you trust your vet, go for it. Some rescues spay and neuter all their pigs, so while it can be risky, there are some who think it's worthwhile. I'm still on the fence myself.

Thank you, it was not an easy decision but because I spayed both of my other piggies and it was successful and I do have a great vet that highly recommended surgery with a heavy heart I will do the spay surgery.

joys_cavies

Cavy Slave
Praying for a successful surgery! Just wondering (off topic) are you @Guinea_Pigs_Ella_Bella_muffin from Instagram?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.