Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Toys to chew on?

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
I can tell that Amy is trying to find somethig to chew on and wear down her teeth. She has a wood hidey house but the corners are too big and hard to chew. What sorts of things should I give her to chew on ???

supertramp

Cavy Slave
Apple tree wood is great, especially with bark on. You could also give them a regular bit of wood soaked in unsweetened fruit juice - I know my girls prefer to chew on it when it's tasty.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
KmKrazy9 said:
I can tell that Amy is trying to find somethig to chew on and wear down her teeth. She has a wood hidey house but the corners are too big and hard to chew. What sorts of things should I give her to chew on ???
Unlimited hay for one thing. Another that's suddenly popular in my cage are the small dried corn cobs. I've had the pigs since valentine's day and these corn cobs were in there pretty much untouched until a couple of weeks ago. Now they're almost through the second one.

They've also recently started chewing on their cardboard tunnel (can't remember what it's called - chubbs or something like that). The love to run through it to as they do laps of the cage.

I put a baby alphabet block in there too but so far they haven't touched it.

MommaCavy3160

Cavy Slave
LiciaMommycott said:
can't remember what it's called - chubbs or something like that
They're called Chubes (I have a couple for my russian dwarf hamsters), my piggies are too chubby for them even when i found the biggest one. I don't want to risk one of them getting stuck in it while i'm at work. They're pretty expensive for toys that won't last too long (i just take a grid and bend it and place a towel over it to make a cave/tee-pee to hide in).

Piglet

Cavy Slave
same here. The chubes (or chubbs, he he) are far too expensive over here. I love the idea of bending the cubes though. So many things that you can do with the leftovers!!

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
What are chubbs?

I have never even heard of 'chubbs' what are they?

Treen

Cavy Slave
Chubes are tunnels made made from reinforced cardboard - many pet shops sell them. They're really sturdy and pigs just love running through them or having a nap in them!

Here's a picture of one in action https://www.treenspigs.com/group/tefalfull/tefal25.jpg! There are more pictures of them in the photo gallery area (under 'Hidey Houses').

cavylover_76

Cavy Slave
I got a great idea from someone on this site. I used one of the Coca Cola fridge packs. They chew it and race through it. It has become their favorite toy.

We also put the toilet paper rolls in there after the paper is gone, they love to chew on those, too. Lots cheaper than the paper stuff they sell at the pet stores!!!

Hope it helped,
Marie

WildKingdom

Cavy Slave
Mine seem to like the hanging wooden bird toys the best. They also like to chew on the fiddlesticks tunnel. They seem to prefer natural looking wood and sticks to those colored cute ones :) and they LOVE those SuperPet bark bites. Porky has one of those kid's alphabet blocks that he likes to nibble on too.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
You can put small animal chews in their cage. You can get them at Walmart for 88 cents (USD)

guineapig_101_

Cavy Slave
Try Walmart go to the pet area they usally have gpig stuff food and they might just have chew sticki and popsickle stick work to

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
They also may like bird toys that are safe (i.e. no rawhide or nuts, but just wood, rope, and metal). MAKE SURE the apple tree branches are unsprayed with ANYTHING, even oil.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If you work in an office building, you can occasionally get the BIG cardboard tubes that the t.p. comes on. They're stiffer and will last a lot longer than the thin home tubes. It takes Percy about a month to work through most of one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.