Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General There to noisy at night :/

Kitkat99

Cavy Slave
I'm new here (so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section)

so i just got my first ever Guinea pigs, two girls who I named Hazel and Bubbles :)
now I knew they would be fairly noisy but I was hoping I could cope with it at night with them in my bedroom (stupid idea because I'm a terrible sleeper as it is) anyway as soon as I turn the light off they start making so much noise. I'm not sure what to do because I don't really want to move them into the living room because we have birds that are very noise and the tv is offtend on really loud, I was worried that might be too much for them. The only other place would be the hall, we have a corner that their cage would fit it, but this would mean they wouldn't be able to have their run. I currently have them in cage that is 45 x 22 inches (not sure if that's big enough on its own) but then they also have a run attracted which is 35 x 35 inches. Now hazel hasn't even found the way out into the run yet but Bubbles loves it, and Ill kind of feel bad if she can't have it (but what's evers best) I did think about moving the cage in the hall at night and then bringing it back in during the day so they can have access to the run too but I figured that would be stressful for them. Anyway some advice would be appreciated :) as I'm stuck for what to do!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I have two suggestions.

One, feed them their biggest meal at night right before you go to bed. They'll eat, and then take a long nap.

Two, get yourself some silicone ear plugs and use them. Mack's is a good brand, if you can find them, but any silicone plug will do. They're usually too big, so pinch them half, and they'll be just about the right size.

But the birds and the TV won't bother them -- they'll get used to it very quickly. My husband is hard of hearing, so the TV is always blaring, and we've got a barking dog. The pigs don't even look up.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Piggies can definitely get used to loud noises and not be bothered at all. Mine are in the middle of the house with barking dogs, people playing loud instruments (trumpet, saxophone, piano, my brother's rock band lol), and they couldn't care less. They just go on doing whatever they're doing and are completely unfazed by all the commotion. :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Thank you, thank you, @pigger123, for using "unfazed" instead of "unphased." It's one of my pet peeves, and I can tell you how long it's been since I've seen someone use it correctly.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
I have two suggestions.

One, feed them their biggest meal at night right before you go to bed. They'll eat, and then take a long nap.

Two, get yourself some silicone ear plugs and use them. Mack's is a good brand, if you can find them, but any silicone plug will do. They're usually too big, so pinch them half, and they'll be just about the right size.

But the birds and the TV won't bother them -- they'll get used to it very quickly. My husband is hard of hearing, so the TV is always blaring, and we've got a barking dog. The pigs don't even look up.

When you say to feed them their biggest meal at night, do you mean to feed them their veggies at night instead of the morning? Or just give them bigger portions at night. I guess I never thought about what they should eat when. Is there a link that I can read that describes what is best at what time of day? I'm picking my girls up at 10:30am EST Saturday morning, so I would hope they would have been fed by the time I get them, but I could be wrong. I'm getting them from a rescue ranch, but I don't know. This is crazy, the closer the day is coming, the more nervous I'm getting!!! I've wanted this for sooo long, I guess I'm just afraid of messing things up, I want them to be so happy. I wasn't like this when I rescued my cats, but I've had cats before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It doesn't matter when you feed them as long as you're consistent from day to day.

When I say feed the biggest meal at night, that's exactly what I mean. Make their other meals smaller during the day, and give them more at night. If they're over six months old and you're rationing pellets, feed the pellets just before you go to bed. The fuller they are, the longer they'll sleep.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
By ration, I mean restricting adult pigs to 1/8 cup pellets per day, not doling them out during the day.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.