Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Towels terrycloth by the yard? or mattress protectors

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
has anyone bought terry cloth by the yard to use under fleece. as anyone who has read my posts over the past few days my almost 7 year old is going to be paying for everything her GP's will need before we adopt so im trying to save her some money in the long run and make sure we do this properly, i would hate to have her work her cute little butt off only to find out something else would have been just as good or better for the same or less price.

so im going back and forth with mattress protectors and buying a few yards of terry cloth (towel material... its wayy cheaper to buy by the yard then to go and buy towels at the store) I have also looked into furniture blankets but its 33.99 for 4 of them and the box will weigh 20lbs so shipping might be a bit high (no uhaul here)

so what would be our best bet for a cost effective absorbent layer.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Uhaul offers free shipping if you reach the minimum order (can't remember how much). How big is your cage? Why do you need 4 uhaul pads? Each pad is huge (68" x 85")

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can also find very cheap mattress pads at thrift stores.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
It was cheaper to buy 4 on amazon (cant ship a lot of them here) we will have 2 midwest cages connected ill check on the site to see if they will ship here didnt know that thanks.

are mattress pads good? would it be mattress pad -> fleece or would i need something inbetween both?

Edit: Uhaul doesnt ship here :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The mattress pad is the absorbent layer. The fleece goes over the top of it.

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
ok perfect i think ill go that route thanks!
the lighter material the better for us I have to handwash everything (major drought and it saves a ton of water for me to handwash) so mattress pads might be a lot easier on my arms lol

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
I checked out the wood pellets and all im speechless that stuff looks amazing!! and with the GP's being my daughters responsibility this would be so much easier on her and me (because nobody else is going to hand wash this stuff lol!) i looked for HOURS last night trying to find a feed store or a livestock supply store here and I cant seem to find any, any other word combos or types of stores that would sell the big bags for horses? Im pretty sure we have the cat litter here anyways and after seeing it im seriously thinking about switching nekos litter box to these pellets if I can find the ones for horse stalls (bigger bag and 1/4 of the price of the cat litter version)
I live in puerto rico and we do have farms and horse stables around the island i might even consider a 4 hour drive if i need to (bring 50 bucks and buy as many as i can to make the drive worth it) maybe its that im looking for it in english and not spanish

Thank you so much lissie!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.