Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Keeping Cool Summer haircut, and guinea pig doesn't drink much water

aden_al

Cavy Slave
Hi,

I live in Texas USA, and I have central air conditioner and a very insulating apartment (so the heat and cold stays inside), and I also close the blinds during the day to avoid the apartment getting too hot (it works perfectly). I don't set the air conditioner very cold because I don't really like it cold and I cannot sleep when it's cold, and I start sneezing. Every time I came home I felt the apartment was too cold and the bill was getting too high, so I increased the temperature by one degree. For the last two days I was able to stay at home most of the day, so I could see how they were behaving most of the day.

I am fine with the temperature (77 F or 25 C) according to the upper floor, but the lower part is colder (when my parents came on December they complained about the cold temperature because they were sleeping downstairs, but I was sweating because I sleep upstairs) so let's say maybe 25 or 24 C, or could be less. The guinea pigs kept acting normally: sleep, but also chase each other, scream at me for food, sometimes they go out do nothing, or stay in their middle fleece forest to eat hay but be semi-hidden, etc. But I am not sure if they like the temperature or not.

My Priscilla lived in a town with a similar weather. But she was free (no cage, only cage for sleeping time: 10 pm to 8 am) and the floor was not carpeted or laminated, but tiled. So in general the floor was fresh. There was no air conditioner in the living room (just fans and there was AC on the bedrooms where she slept at night) and she didn't seem to care. But of course, all guinea pigs are different and it's not like they can tell me if they are too hot or too cold.

My questions are the following:

1) I froze bottles of water and put a towel surrounding them and put them in the cage next to their hideys fleece forest. Since they were sleeping on the other side, I put it in the middle (so it would be closer to them). A couple of hours later, one baby sneezed two times -it was adorable, but up to this point I hadn't heard them sneezing-, so I moved the bottles to the side (so they would have the option of sleeping closer to it or no). Should I keep putting the cold bottles?

2) They have two drinking bottles of water, but I've seen them drinking only from one of them, it seems they like that one and do not drink often from the other one. Specifically, the dominant is the one that drinks a lot more (the preferred bottle is close to where the dominated sleeps so she can go out an drink) and crosses the whole cage just to go and drink from that one (instead of just walking to the one next to where she normally stays).

I have not seen the dominated to drink water (I'm not home most of the day) but I always give them vegetables with water and I see a lot of pee, specially on her side (I use two fleece pieces and switch the ends every day so they can dry) Should I be concerned about the one of them doesn't drink as much water? I tried giving her water directly and sometimes she drinks and sometimes she gets fed up with me.

3) They are not long-haired guinea pigs. They are regular hair, but they are furry animals like any guinea pig. Should I give them a summer haircut so they are less hot? My issue with cutting their hair is that dominant doesn't hurt the dominated because of the fur (she pushes her with her teeth, which is the way she attacks). However, once I remove some fur by cutting it, their skin will be more exposed and the dominant may hurt my baby. I am not concerned about the dominator since she is never attacked by my peaceful baby.

ALSO: the cage is always clean and never wet due to their pee.

Regards,

Last edited:

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
A temperature of 77⁰F is approaching too warm for a haired cavy and anything above 80⁰F can be downright deadly, especially if they can burrow under fleece. I would continue to provide the cold bottles in case they need them so they at least have the option of being cooler or not.

Keep in mind that cavies are as different as we humans are and it's not uncommon for them to drink varying amounts of water. You can't change this......just be sure that you have clean, fresh water available to them at all times. My Sparky is mad for ice cold water and will sit at his bowl waiting for us to refill his bottle......which is done at least twice a day.

I've been in love with Abys for 30 years and they have medium-length fur. I often give them a haircut in the summer for two reasons: it keeps them cooler and it seems to reduce shedding. I use a medium length guide (the guard on the clippers) so some of the hair is removed, just not a great deal. I doubt that the length of the fur will have much to do with any aggression. In your case, I think that giving them a haircut might be a good decision. If you like, I can suggest clippers and provide info on the specific guide that I use.

aden_al

Cavy Slave
A temperature of 77⁰F is approaching too warm for a haired cavy and anything above 80⁰F can be downright deadly, especially if they can burrow under fleece. I would continue to provide the cold bottles in case they need them so they at least have the option of being cooler or not.

Keep in mind that cavies are as different as we humans are and it's not uncommon for them to drink varying amounts of water. You can't change this......just be sure that you have clean, fresh water available to them at all times. My Sparky is mad for ice cold water and will sit at his bowl waiting for us to refill his bottle......which is done at least twice a day.

I've been in love with Abys for 30 years and they have medium-length fur. I often give them a haircut in the summer for two reasons: it keeps them cooler and it seems to reduce shedding. I use a medium length guide (the guard on the clippers) so some of the hair is removed, just not a great deal. I doubt that the length of the fur will have much to do with any aggression. In your case, I think that giving them a haircut might be a good decision. If you like, I can suggest clippers and provide info on the specific guide that I use.

Yes, I would like info in the clipper. I was going to use regular scissors though. I am not worried that their new hair styles would lead to aggression, I am concerned that having less fur will make the attacks more effective; the fur acts like a cushion or shield for the attacks of the dominant.

I am also going to keep the house colder when it's hotter outside.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Do you by chance have a Costco membership or know someone who does? I bought my hair cutting kit from a Costco (it's not available online) for around $30. It has everything that you will need including large and small clippers, lots of guides, clipper oil, scissors, etc........except the particular guide that I use the most. You can buy guides from almost any beauty supply store for the larger clippers. My most-used guide is a (broken link removed) or 1/8".

You would think that cavies would tolerate scissors better than clippers, but my cavies have all been terrified of scissors! Once they are accustomed to the sound of the clippers, they don't seem to mind them and rather like the buzz and feel on the body. I don't know how long your cavies' hair may be, but if it is long or especially long and curly, you need to gradually cut it shorter. When I had a Texel, she would scream through the entire process! She was Papa's girl and I had to cut her hair when he wasn't home. I soon realized that because her hair was both long and curly, the clippers were pulling the hair and causing pain. I backed off and gradually cut it a bit shorter with each grooming until I had it the length that I wanted. It was a shame to cut off all that beautiful long curly hair, but I simply couldn't keep her clean otherwise.......and she looked adorable with her buzz cut.

I use the small clippers around the genital area, inside of back legs, and a bit on the belly. The larger clippers were used on the sides and back, but I generally don't attempt to cut hair on the head or face because I don't want to demolish the whiskers! :eek:hmy:

Take your time with the first haircut. It won't be perfect until you have a little practice, but your cavies will never know they aren't perfect.

(broken link removed)

aden_al

Cavy Slave
Do you by chance have a Costco membership or know someone who does? I bought my hair cutting kit from a Costco (it's not available online) for around $30. It has everything that you will need including large and small clippers, lots of guides, clipper oil, scissors, etc........except the particular guide that I use the most. You can buy guides from almost any beauty supply store for the larger clippers. My most-used guide is a (broken link removed) or 1/8".

You would think that cavies would tolerate scissors better than clippers, but my cavies have all been terrified of scissors! Once they are accustomed to the sound of the clippers, they don't seem to mind them and rather like the buzz and feel on the body. I don't know how long your cavies' hair may be, but if it is long or especially long and curly, you need to gradually cut it shorter. When I had a Texel, she would scream through the entire process! She was Papa's girl and I had to cut her hair when he wasn't home. I soon realized that because her hair was both long and curly, the clippers were pulling the hair and causing pain. I backed off and gradually cut it a bit shorter with each grooming until I had it the length that I wanted. It was a shame to cut off all that beautiful long curly hair, but I simply couldn't keep her clean otherwise.......and she looked adorable with her buzz cut.

I use the small clippers around the genital area, inside of back legs, and a bit on the belly. The larger clippers were used on the sides and back, but I generally don't attempt to cut hair on the head or face because I don't want to demolish the whiskers! :eek:hmy:

Take your time with the first haircut. It won't be perfect until you have a little practice, but your cavies will never know they aren't perfect.

(broken link removed)

So I cut their hair with scissors. Of course I only cut some hair, not a lot. However, surprisingly, when I started cutting their hair they kind of loved it, it is the first time I am handling them and they are not scared. They were so relaxed when I was cutting and combing their hair. I mostly cut the tips of their hair because they are not long-haired guinea pigs, they are regular hair so in general it is not necessary to cut it, but due to the hot weather I decided to cut some hair in case it gets hotter.

I am going to check the costco and consider buying the kit, but they definitely do not need a very short hair, just some hair off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.