Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy successful sac cleaning :D

hazelbaby2525

Cavy Slave
So I cleaned Evlis's anal sac for the first time today :) he's about 4 months old! There wasn't much in there but he did great!!! :)

How do we know when/if we're supposed to do that? I have males about that age, but I've never seen anything going on to cause me to do it? I'm a new pig owner.

I'm a new pig owner and my male is 2 1/2 months old. I've never heard of doing that. should I do that? if so when and how? and what part like i looked it up and i felt like weird because it showed a bunch of pictures of guinea pig male parts.....

Yay, did you do it by yourself? I'm doing our boys this weekend. We adopted them last week, but they are two years old and have never gotten their anal sac cleaned before. I'm nervous. I've read you should do about once a month unless they have impaction problems then you do it more often.

Yes I did it all by myself I folded a towel and put it on my bed, I had him sitting facing away from me just Like the girl in the video and he was squirmiry than hers but eventually he gave up :) then I gave him a little treat after :)

Good luck to the both of you :)

Sounds like it wasn't to difficult for you then, I hope it goes that way for me too. The boys were already upset at me for weighing them today lol.

Well I have an aby with an attitude and he was great so I'm sure yours will be fine :)

Mine weren't fans but I got it done. Good you had posted because I hadn't seen about this, only about anal impacts in the future. Thank you :)

Your welcome :) glad everything went well!

I'm still confused, at what age should I do this and why should I do this?

Well I did it for the first time today and he is 4 months old and there wasn't.much in there at all so I say you could wait til he's 4 months old and you do it to get rid of the gunk that builds up in there because when they drag their butts on the ground it picks up hay, fur, poops and all that stuff gets stuck in there and you can imagine how that might cause some discomfort in there and as they get older you should do it more often because they're anal muscles don't work as well and their poops can get stuck in there but while they're still ground you only have to do it once a month give or take depending on how dirty their bum is each time you clean it

Now, to prevent impaction and infections. Clean the penis too. Just like a baby(except you do not have to clean an anal sac).

I'm still confused, at what age should I do this and why should I do this?

The guinea lynx website says that you need to do it regardless of age. It is apparently a preventative measure for future impaction problems. I've read do to it regularly (once a month).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.