Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage So I've been working on a new cage

Quinten29

Cavy Slave
Right so i've been working on a new cage and have come up with 3 alternative's, each cage that i've show here is but 1 section of the final cage, the final cage will have 3 sections built 1 ontop of the other (removable and the entire cage will be on wheels to allow for cleaning and the back being openable for the same.) I figured i'd see what everyone else thought of each type of cage and see what the general consensus would be for which cage i should build. Many thanks in advance for your posts and hopefully it will also help others come up with idea's

So I've been working on a new cage Ok so this is the largest cage at 48 square feet on the bottom floor alone
So I've been working on a new cage the medium cage at 37.7 square feet on the bottom floor alone
So I've been working on a new cageand the smallest of the 3 at 32.3 square feet on the bottom floor

I like the first one the best, mainly because I don't like upper levels that are too narrow.

I am impressed by your designs!

I've also uploaded the 3d version here, (broken link removed)

I like the first one the best, mainly because I don't like upper levels that are too narrow.!

I do have to agree with you there, but the nice thing is that the 2nd level or dining room as i call it, is still 10 square feet not including the corridors from the ladder going up

Bigger the better ! I like how the first one looks too.

Is the front of the second level open over the first level or will you have something to keep them from jumping or falling off?

there will be a lip there to stop them jumping off

I like the first one too. If you want to practice, feel free to make me one to work out all the issues before you build yours :D

I'm going to be weird here but... I like the second one better because I think it will be easier to catch and care for the piggies.

I like this one mainly because top levels are really just for kitchens in my oppinion leaves all the bottom for running laps. awesome design.

I like the second one! It just looks really cool!

Very creative designs! Perhaps I've missed this in an earlier post, but it appears that the completed cage is going to have solid walls of one material or another?

Despite the seeming openness of the design, the air circulation is going to be limited and will be bloody hot in the summer. How do you plan to allow for that? I had enough difficulty this past summer with keeping my C&C cage cool. Had a small fan running constantly along with the air purifier.......and occasionally some a/c from the next room.

nope you havn't missed it, mostly it's a open cage, but your comment about the air circulation makes for a really good point, will have to think about it but the first thought would be a bathroom extractor fan fitted 1 per section will do the trick, going to have to work it into the lighting as i'm looking into led strips underneath the 2nd floor and main floor sections.

I'd be careful about putting stuff like that in the cage.

I would make the front section open at least, if you're using plexiglass only put it up like 6 inches. Air flow is important. It will get hot and smelly very fast.

I would think computer fans would be quieter and easier to use in the space. Another option would be instead of plexiglass using grids.

the cage is going to be open, as you can seee in the pic it's going to have two 40cm sides plexi'd with a 15cm plexi front to form the lip to prevent them jumping off lol, but i'm loving the computer fan idea, will be perfect to increase airflow in the summer months.

I love the rule "Go Big or Go Home" but the home depicted in #2 looks like an awesome piggy palace. There is a lot of open space not blocked by the side plexi as well as being able to reach in and be able to clean with out twisting or taking away important ground space. "Fart fans" I think would be a bit too much, computer fans would be small enough and not as loud for them as well as you. Kudos on this project, you are an awesome piggie parent! Can't wait to see the completed project.

I like your questions so i'm going to break them down and attempt to answer as best I can.

I'm really good at playing the Devil's Advocate role, so just have to ask.........have you ever actually owned cavies?

yup got 5 at the minute all boys and all crazy as hell lol and had two boys prior to having to move countries and being unable to take them with me.

[/QUOTE]I see someone who may be building from purely a design aspect? If you have been owned by cavies for any length of time, your design ideas might be quite different. That's why so many of us love the C&C-type cages because they are relatively easy to redesign based on our experiences.....and the size of the piggy family. The personalities and needs of your cavies also can often dictate that redesign/renovation.[/QUOTE]

Now having a C&C cage is great due to the ability of redesigning the cage as per needs and unfortunately the cavy owners whims perhaps they become bored with the design or due to family needs need to move or alter the cage as is necessary or as you say have to separate due to illness fighting or recovery needs.

A custom cage would have some constraints but as I am planning on making at least 2 of these cages to sit one on top of the other (no higher than 1.5m from the deck to allow for cleaning and access and general observation but also to plan for such a contingency (heaven forbid) that i need to separate for whatever reason hence the multiple floors which will allow for either splitting in half by level to maintain a safe distance due to illness or down the middle to allow the piggies to still see and talk and smell one another due to recovery or fighting but also to give them thier own area that will remain theirs and theirs alone with the usual clean and interior redesign to prevent boredom and the customary floor time to provide ample exercise room despite the fact that having such a large custom cage would provide anyway.

[/QUOTE]For instance, with your design, have you considered what you will use as bedding and how much it will require? The odd-shaped cage will need a very talented tailor/seamstress to create custom fleece liners.[/QUOTE]

with the design of the cage I plan to have a correx cube to house the interior of the cage and a second correx sheet to fit snugly inside of the cube which will have the towels and fleece wrapped around and secured underneath with velcro so the only tailoring requirements would be to sew on the velcro to the fleece and stick the apposing side to the sheet of correx.

[/QUOTE] How will you plan to divide a level should one of your cavies become ill or need a smaller area for surgery recovery? What happens if someone has made an error in sexing the piggies and you end up with a sow and babies? [/QUOTE]

Dividing a level becomes easy thanks to having rolls of chicken wire (at 2.5cm spaces not too small to prevent seeing or smelling one another) or by level removing the 'ladders' and boarding up the remaining holes in the event of illness or total separation as required.

[/QUOTE]Who will take care of your cavies when you have to go away? Few cavy sitters will want to clean your piggy palace unless you have a system and/or pay them well. [/QUOTE]

It's a good job that I have neighbours that actually like me otherwise there I would have to admit that I would be in trouble however the cage is designed to be able to move about the house as the base sit's on wheels and the 2nd' level is removable allowing for the unit to be transported as necessary and as i'm sure everyone here will agree nothing would cost too much for our piggies happiness.

[/QUOTE]I would suggest that perhaps you plan to have a separate kitchen area to contain the hay, litter box, and food, especially if you are using fleece. And, DO invest in a good hand vacuum to tidy the cage and remove hair from the fleece.

Maybe you have thought of these issues and have contingency plans? Again, kudos on the elaborate design plans, but the bottom line is........will it work in practicality? Your turn.......^_^[/QUOTE]

and as you can see the cage has a 'Kitchen' designed into the top floor with the main run area being on the bottom floor and I do agree having a handy wet and dry handheld wireless vacuum cleaner is a must as well as having a mains powered monster hoover for the weekly deep cleans of the cage both of which i have and use far to frequently that the wife is determined that either I buy her another hoover or get my own (in otherwords buy her a hoover and make do with our old one lol.)

I do hope that i've managed to assuage your fears and comments and perhaps swayed your thoughts towards contemplating building your own custom cage.

So I've been working on a new cageSo I've been working on a new cageSo I've been working on a new cage

This is my current cage at 12 square feet per main level (ie the bottom 2) and 9 square feet on the 'Kitchen level' the top one and it works a treat for 5 piggies i've seen more popcorning on these 3 floors alone than i ever did when they were on a single level 4' x 5' C&C build so i'm determined that not only will they love it but so will I.

So I've been working on a new cage so I went with the first one as we've rescued a couple of pigs from some friends who just didn't have the time anymore for them they are in a sorry state both have a bad case of mites so are on their antiseptic but hopefully they will be feeling better soon

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.