Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Sneezing? Sighing? What??

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I would watch the spot and see if it grows/changes at all. If it stays a pink bald spot, I suppose it could very well be hair loss from the wetness of medication plus being a sloppy eater, if he is. One of my pigs has thinning hair around her chin/neck area that I have always chalked up to her being a mess. The fact that it is a symmetrical appearance on Matisse is what, to me, sounds odd.

My other concern is that wetness is also a great condition for fungal growth. Was this pig ever treated for a fungal infection?

Other thoughts, besides fungal, are that the other pig could have pulled the hair out.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I think that the worry about Baytril in young pigs is when it's given long term. How long are you supposed to be giving it?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
The addition of doxy, another antibiotic, probably is helping. I'm not familiar with anything stating doxy is dangerous for a 4 month old pig, perhaps you could call and question this again, mentioning that you researched this and wondered if it might be an option since it seems to be helping with your other pig.

How long are you being told to treat with Baytril? In the short term it shouldn't do him any harm. However, if you end up having to continue treating to beat this bug, a switch to Bactrim would probably be worth mentioning to your vet. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion and be an advocate for you pigs at the vet. I see a well-reputed GP vet and still show up with my safe med lists and recommendations I've received to discuss with him.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
@SurfingPigs It's not like a "perfect" circle per se, but it is just directly under his little chin. Very good point about the eating... I will try and get a photo of it tonight.

@bpatters I don't have the bottles in front of me but if I'm not mistaken the Baytril is for 10 days and the Doxycycline for 14 days.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
The addition of doxy, another antibiotic, probably is helping. I'm not familiar with anything stating doxy is dangerous for a 4 month old pig, perhaps you could call and question this again, mentioning that you researched this and wondered if it might be an option since it seems to be helping with your other pig.

How long are you being told to treat with Baytril? In the short term it shouldn't do him any harm. However, if you end up having to continue treating to beat this bug, a switch to Bactrim would probably be worth mentioning to your vet. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion and be an advocate for you pigs at the vet. I see a well-reputed GP vet and still show up with my safe med lists and recommendations I've received to discuss with him.

I put in a call to my regular vet so he should be calling me back and if he wants them to come in I'm more than happy to take them at this point. I think I'm more afraid of just being an annoyance by calling all the time but then why should I be, these vets are getting my hard earned money every time I come in lol (and doesn't all this kinda give them something to figure out anyway? haha). I'm just starting to fear this exotic vet may be the type to prescribe without seeing then have you come back in if that doesn't work, in turn making money off a vet appointment each time, whereas my regular vet would have wanted to see him first and foremost before prescribing anything.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
I think I'm more afraid of just being an annoyance by calling all the time but then why should I be, these vets are getting my hard earned money every time I come in

Bingo!

If you want a recommendation for a vet near you that is experienced I would contact OCCH via email and ask for who they would recommend. This link may very well have listings near you: Link List - Orange County Cavy Haven

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Bingo!

If you want a recommendation for a vet near you that is experienced I would contact OCCH via email and ask for who they would recommend. This link may very well have listings near you: Link List - Orange County Cavy Haven

LOL, the exotic vet I use is actually on that list... ;-) I will have healthy pigs at some point right? lol geez... I don't know, right now they still have their divider up in their cage but they are technically still sharing the same space. I may just have to separate completely until all this junk is over with but unfortunately that means one of them living in a store bought cage temporarily. They both had the URI by the time I got them to the vet so there was no point in separating then but if little things keep popping up I can't keep having both get sick.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
What are we on now, day 4? I can't believe how much clearer Matisse's eyes are and how much more alert they are. He's such a beautiful piggy!! No more discharge at all. I did notice him only peck at his parsley this morning and I'm not noticing as much eating of hay. I will be having my mom check him first thing when she gets home from work to see if he finished his parsley or touched his veggies, if not my local pet store carries Critical Care and I will pick some up. He hides in his house quite a bit but when the house is removed or he is out for play time he moves around a lot and "talks" so I'm not really concerned over this. I've started removing the hidey when I get home from work till I go to bed so that he works his brain. Shelby is still Shelby, (he is a little nutcase I tell ya! He sees my hand coming and flattens his little bottom down for his rubbies lol), not nearly as much sneezing and the vet said I could put him on a very small dose of the Doxy as well. Things are looking up (finally)!!

Delaine

Cavy Slave
I hope Matisse is eating better and I am glad to hear Shelby is doing well. Please keep us posted on how Matisse is doing.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Shelby is wonderful. Matisse seems to be going downhill. I started him on Critical Care today. I haven't seen him drink any water so I'm force giving water as well. I even brought him to work with me so I could give him his CC throughout the day (don't tell me I'm not dedicated! I'm determined! lol). He nibbles on his hay but didn't touch his veggies this morning and won't touch the pellets. He seems to like the CC so I hope things will improve soon. I have also decided to quarantine him completely from Shelby now, since Shelby has improved so much I don't want him getting sick again. He eats his veggies and an obscene amount of hay lol. The only thing I seem to get Matisse to eat is Romaine. Also not noticing as much poops. I don't know if this is a side effect of both the Baytril and Doxy or just the Baytril, but to be safe I am going to stop giving Shelby the Doxy. For now I have a tiny play area set up in my office, but Matisse is just hiding in his crate. I have my floor heater on as well (not directly on him) so he stays warm. When he is at home he just sits in one corner (not really hunched up, he seems relaxed, but still). I could really use some good thoughts and prayers for this guy right now.

Edit: Just now tried to get Matisse to come out in the play area. He turned right back around and as soon as he got in his crate he purred. I suppose if that's where he feels comfortable I will just let him stay in there. Poops look normal but they are few and far between it seems.

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If his pooping is slowing down, you might ask the vet for a motility drug. GI stasis is the last thing you need at the moment, and that should help keep him going.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
If his pooping is slowing down, you might ask the vet for a motility drug. GI stasis is the last thing you need at the moment, and that should help keep him going.

Thank you, I will call her right now.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. What a wonderful and dedicated mom to be taking such care of your pig.

Some people have had success improving motility by resting their pig on those little vibrating pillows for as long as the pig will stand it. I believe they are available at CVS, Walgreens, etc.

Keep it up with the CC! As long as he isn't eating, keep on forcing him to.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys. So I think bringing him to work with me was the best thing I could have done. I've been able to observe his behaviors as the day progresses. He is in the play area and getting some exercise (I closed the crate door for now, no more of that). He is pooping like crazy, I saw him drink some water, and he is gobbling up his hay. I'm beginning to think he may just like to eat later in the day and not at 6am when I get up, but since I'm always at work I wouldn't have known that. Yesterday when I got home about half the veggies were gone so I'm betting by pushing them away this morning he just wasn't hungry yet. I will be changing his feeding schedule then to evening. For today though I don't have anything with me other than hay and CC so I'll give him more CC. =)

... And as I typed that, Houdini escaped his playpen... lol Oh brother...

Last edited:

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
By the way, when he urinated it was yellow, as it's drying it's turning brown. Is that okay or should I change something in his diet?

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Urine changing to an orange-brown tint is totally normal, I wouldn't be concerned.

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Urine changing to an orange-brown tint is totally normal, I wouldn't be concerned.

Thank you!!! Wow this place has been such a panic saver. Glad this forum is here. =)

kourt1313

Cavy Slave
Still real no interest in veggies this morning (I think he ate one bit of a pepper). I will see how far down the bowl is when I get home tonight which will help me determine when he eats since I didn't have veggies with me yesterday to watch this. He's eating his hay (I'm referring to Matisse at this point btw) and the vet recommended I put him back on his old pellets for the time being since he likes those and not the Oxbow, we just want to be sure he's getting something in him. He has eaten some of the pellets as of last night and this morning. I removed his hidey this morning since I notice more activity when it is gone. He is drinking water. Also as of last night I'm noticing more interest in his chew toys and he I discovered adores crumpled up plain balls of paper but I worry he eats too much of it so I took that away, or will the plain paper even hurt him if he does eat it?

Now... When I wake up in the morning and turn the light on I notice he looks a bit frazzled, his fur is sticking straight up/puffed out mostly around his neck and head, but once he's awake and moving it all flattens down, is this something to be concerned over or is it just his form of "bed head"? It's not cold in our house overnight but I could start covering the cage with a blanket if need be. I'm also wondering, if this isn't something to fret over, if I should go ahead and reintroduce the pigges (they've had a divider up due to the vet's recommendation of putting them on different diets, but with the observations I've made over the last week I don't feel much of a need to continue doing this). Matisse seems to eat better of Shelby is causing some competition for food. I apologize if all the questions are irritating, just trying to be safe than sorry and provide the best for the piggies!

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
What kind are the old pellets?

When a pig is sick, I believe that because so much energy is spent fighting the infection, he isn't able to keep warm like usual. Perhaps you could cover his cage or even give him a heating pad (I use Snuggle Safe disks) at night.

SurfingPigs

Cavy Slave
Questions aren't irritating, keep on asking. Anyone who is irritated probably didn't make it to the end of the paragraph anyhow :p

I agree that a heating pad, and/or some pieces of fleece just balled up and set in the cage would help keep him warm.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the plain paper. As long as there aren't non-soy based inks, he should be fine with them.

Questions I would have about reintroducing: You just have them currently separated by a grid divider? What is the difference in the diet that the vet wanted maintained between the two pigs?

If they are just separated by grids, and the diet issue can be resolved or is no longer as much of a concern, then I would reintroduce. My vet has always told me, and I agree, that pigs tend to do better when they are in their comfort zone and that the stress of separation could make things worse and to not separate unless it is necessary.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.