Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing New guinea pig sneezing and wheezing

timothyhayy

Cavy Gazer
Yesterday I adopted a young boar to be a companion for my recently bereaved guinea pig. Although skittish, he's been settling in well, trying out his toys and eating the veggies, hay, and pellets I've offered. However, he's been sneezing a lot and sometimes makes a series of deflated squeaky noises, almost like puffs of air, which is definitely concerning. His eyes are bright, his nose is clear, his breathing sounds normal, he's active and friendly, and he's eating - nothing else that suggests he's unhealthy.
Some more information on his setup
  • Fleece bedding
  • Oxbow orchard grass and timothy hay
  • His quarantine cage is placed in the space under a loft bed
The area he's in was previously used for storage, so could it be the dust? I did some dusting about an hour ago and will be adding an air purifier soon, but haven't seen any improvement yet. I can also find a new spot for the cage. He has a checkup at the vet's booked for next week; I'm unsure if I can get him there any time sooner. I know how quickly their health can go downhill - any and all tips are appreciated

I'd watch him very closely, and get him in sooner if his condition deteriorates. But it could be the dust, so if you can move is cage, that might help.

When you say the quarantine cage is "placed in the space," what space do you mean? Is it in the cage with the other pig?

'the space' is the empty area under a loft bed, so it's sort of like a mini room/shelter. The other pig is kept in a different room, far away from the new pig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.