Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Should we adopt another pig?

NScotia

Cavy Slave
We currently have two boys approx a year old. They get along great, minus the normal rumblestrut when a new cage clean occurs. Our dominant pig has nipped ears twice in the 12 months they have been with us but we have never saw any seriously aggressive, ongoing battling with them.

We have a 2x5 c&c cage so they have lots of room. I have seen some have bad experiences with trying to bond a third male into a pack. But with that being said, we would be ready to spend a whole month or two this summer to make sure introductions are done slowly and well monitored.
20171228_004021_HDR.jpg
20171228_003937_HDR.jpg

Please ignore the background wall lol. They have their own room, however we bought an older fixxer upper and we are a younger couple. :)

NScotia

Cavy Slave
Also wanted to add that we are switching from temp tile and fleece/shavings to coroplast and custom fleece liners, cuddle sacks, etc in January :) Ordered it all two days ago! ( Was hard finding a Canadian fleece designer for piggies up until now! ) zoey and Lilo's Toy Box btw is where we purchased. Great prices for toys too!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We NEVER recommend that you try to put three boars together. Two will usually live together fairly peaceably, and a large herd may also. But three VERY SELDOM works, and then only with very mellow pigs and very experienced owners. There's a recent thread on this very subject if you want to search for it and see what the people who have tried it have to say.

If you want more pigs, I recommend getting another pair and keeping them in a separate cage.

NScotia

Cavy Slave
We NEVER recommend that you try to put three boars together. Two will usually live together fairly peaceably, and a large herd may also. But three VERY SELDOM works, and then only with very mellow pigs and very experienced owners. There's a recent thread on this very subject if you want to search for it and see what the people who have tried it have to say.

If you want more pigs, I recommend getting another pair and keeping them in a separate cage.

Thank you for the heads up and advice. We couldnt fit another cage that big in the house if we wanted to lol. My heart could fit another baby though. I wish males werent so dominant. My boys were gotten together however so I do worry a new one may split them up entirely. Piggy fever is real though lol. We wanted to take a baby boy from a neighbour who never cleans the cage, constantly keeps breeding, and has finally just got the 1 male and 2 girls left. Poor guy be so loved here. If only he could be okay alone, but that wouldnt be right due to the obvious social nature. Im so torn. :(

Soecara

Cavy Slave
You couldn't do stacked cages? If so you could have two seperate boar pairs ;)

scmtsmomma

Cavy Slave
Maybe look into getting a spayed lady for them? :) If you have the room and time, ladies are so lovely!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@scmtsmomma, it doesn't work to put multiple boars with one sow -- they'll fight, even if they're all neutered. You can do one boar with multiple sows, but not the other way around.

scmtsmomma

Cavy Slave
ah! ignore me then! I had thought it was interchangeable, but now I know!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.