Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) should i trust my local pet store?

finnpigg

Cavy Slave
to get both bumblebee, who has now passed, and finn, my most recent pig, i went to petsmart. i thought they were the only store around my town, but a couple hours ago while looking i discovered another locally store called SACS that is half produce based half animal based. (one side of the store sells animals, one side of the store sells clothing.) i thought, 'hey, at least it's better than a petstore!" so i went to look at the piggies there to possibly find a buddy for little finnley, but.. all the piggies looked the same. it was awfully weird. they told me that one of their momma pigs had a litter about a month ago and i think that maybe they're not separating the litters, resulting in incest breeding, which i know is not good. so, what do you guys think about SACS, and do you think i should just buy from them or continue to buy from the petsmart? :confused:

this is their website; (broken link removed)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

jaycriae

Cavy Slave
As a last resort, you can also look on Craigslist for people rehoming pigs, but make sure they aren't backyard breeders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finnpigg

Cavy Slave
@jaycriae The only reason I'm scared to buy from Craigslist is the fear of getting a sick/pregnant piggie and then ending up with either pups or a dead pig :(

new2piggs

Cavy Slave
You are just as likely (if not more) to get a sick pig from a pet store.

Out of my 8, five of them were originally from pet stores and surrendered or given back within two weeks due to illness. We have dealt with lice, fungal infections and a minor foot injury all from pet stores.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@finnpigg, you're far less likely to get a sick pig from Craigslist than you are from a pet store.

Those links I gave you about pet stores are the rule, not the exception. Those pigs are bred and raised in horrible conditions, and are often sold sick, infested with parasites, missexed, and the baby sows are pregnant. Please do NOT support breeding mills by buying from a pet store.

Did you ever check this place out? It's where I got my last two pigs. https://www.facebook.com/ForTheLoveOfRatsRescue/?fref=ts

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.