Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Should i leave my male guinea pig cage near the females

guineapigfairy

Cavy Gazer
I've had my male guinea pig for a year and he's been alone and he's been fine. I play with him all the time and give him treats and sometimes i leave him alone with enough food and water for a few days and he's always fine and happy and healthy.
Recently, i got him two friends (both girls) but soon after i realized he wasn't neutered and i need to get that done before i can put them all in the same cage. But because he has already been introduced to the girls he is so upset now that he's back alone in his old cage. He screams and bites his cage bars because he wants to be with them. The only way i could get him to stop screaming and biting his cage was by moving him to my bedroom.
His neutering appointment is in two weeks so it's fine he will be with them soon.
But i have to travel for a week this saturday. I'm not sure if i should leave his cage near the girls cage so he wont be lonely for a week while i'm gone. Or if i should keep him alone in another room so he won't be screaming and biting out of frustration throughout the time i'm gone. what should i do? (Also my neighbour will come in to check on them a few times while im gone so theyre all fine in terms of fresh food and water)

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I would keep the cage away from the girls and in your bedroom. If he were to break his teeth chewing the bars while you are gone I doubt your neighbour would notice or be able to help.

guineapigfairy

Cavy Gazer
I would keep the cage away from the girls and in your bedroom. If he were to break his teeth chewing the bars while you are gone I doubt your neighbour would notice or be able to help.
tysm!!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Definitely keep him in another room. And keep him there for four weeks after his surgery -- it takes that long for the active sperm to die once he's been neutered.

Anawilliam850

Cavy Gazer
The best is to keep him in another room