Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Seeking baby guinea pig

heathersmom

Cavy Slave
Thanks to all of you for your replies. However, I didn't post to be told what a horrible idea it is to take a guinea pig to school. I'm 65 years old, have been teaching for 43 years, and always have class pets. I've had numerous guinea pigs over the years, as well as gerbils, hamsters, a rabbit, frogs, fish, reptiles, and not one has been harmed by being in school. I take very good care of my pets, and the children do not hold or play with them. When they go home, they go home with me. (Our librarian has a rabbit and a guinea pig and takes them home every night. They're both several years old, and are in great heath.) I teach in a school full of disadvantaged children who either don't have pets, or have pit bulls. They are fascinated by the animals, and learn a lot about pet care and how to treat pets. They are an integral part of my classroom. (And for the record, I have plants in my classroom, have had worms, and probably anything else you might suggest. ) What can I say? I love animals, and want my little ones to love them too. They make great therapy pets, even though they aren't allowed out of their cages. The children read to them, talk to them, and learn not to be afraid of them. I appreciate your concern, but you aren't very helpful. This will be my last post. Take care.

skinnypigs

Cavy Slave
How weren't we helpful?
Did you think we'd just give you a contact for a baby pig without any information about yourself or your classroom?
Everyone on hear is in love with guinea pigs and only wants the best for them so that is how such a debate about classroom pets came about. I think it was nice that everyone gave opinions and advice about guinea pigs. We had no idea if you were a first time teacher and knew nothing about guinea pigs, so you can't blame us for telling it like it is with only being provided a sentence about yourself.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
Thanks to all of you for your replies. However, I didn't post to be told what a horrible idea it is to take a guinea pig to school.

What did you come here to be told? It was a great idea? It's not, and people aren't going to tell you it is.

I'm 65 years old, have been teaching for 43 years, and always have class pets. I've had numerous guinea pigs over the years, as well as gerbils, hamsters, a rabbit, frogs, fish, reptiles, and not one has been harmed by being in school.

You've had a rabbit in the school? Honestly, I would feel bad for that. Rabbits require a lot of space, even more than Guinea Pigs, and have to be out a lot more than ANY school enviroment can handle.

I take very good care of my pets, and the children do not hold or play with them. When they go home, they go home with me.

Traveling back and forth to the school would be very stressful on the pig - and I noticed you mentioned when they go home. Do they stay overnight?

I teach in a school full of disadvantaged children who either don't have pets, or have pit bulls.

I'm sorry about that. I believe anyone who can take good and proper care of animal should have one. However, that doesn't mean that you should have a classroom pet for it to not be taken care of. Also, I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but what is so bad about pit bulls? Having a rottie, I don't think it's fair for people to judge each and every dog just because they have a breed that is considered "mean".

What can I say? I love animals, and want my little ones to love them too. They make great therapy pets, even though they aren't allowed out of their cages. The children read to them, talk to them, and learn not to be afraid of them. I appreciate your concern, but you aren't very helpful. This will be my last post. Take care.

It's unfortunate you decide to leave just because you didn't get the posts you wished to hear.

Not to mention, you didn't answer certain questions - what if the kids have allergies? Can you fit a large enough cage? Guinea Pigs need companions, can you have that?

TwilightStar

Cavy Slave
Thanks to all of you for your replies. However, I didn't post to be told what a horrible idea it is to take a guinea pig to school. I'm 65 years old, have been teaching for 43 years, and always have class pets. I've had numerous guinea pigs over the years, as well as gerbils, hamsters, a rabbit, frogs, fish, reptiles, and not one has been harmed by being in school. I take very good care of my pets, and the children do not hold or play with them. When they go home, they go home with me. (Our librarian has a rabbit and a guinea pig and takes them home every night. They're both several years old, and are in great heath.) I teach in a school full of disadvantaged children who either don't have pets, or have pit bulls. They are fascinated by the animals, and learn a lot about pet care and how to treat pets. They are an integral part of my classroom. (And for the record, I have plants in my classroom, have had worms, and probably anything else you might suggest. ) What can I say? I love animals, and want my little ones to love them too. They make great therapy pets, even though they aren't allowed out of their cages. The children read to them, talk to them, and learn not to be afraid of them. I appreciate your concern, but you aren't very helpful. This will be my last post. Take care.
Oh my, a rabbit and a guinea pig? Those animals should NOT be together and should have a companion each of their own species.
Just because you've taken care of animals in your class room in the past will NEVER make it the ideal environment for them. It is selfish.
You may not see their physical harm, but it is there.
A classical example of a person putting their needs above an animal's and over rationalizing the situation to death to suit their OWN needs.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
This may be a little off the main subject, but you said it (heathersmom.) So what if they have pitbulls? The American Pitbull Terrier is one of the best breeds of dogs out there, and I'd suggest you stop discriminating against them. You're however old, and obviously set in your ways since you said we had no knowledge... Teachers need to be open minded and non-discriminatory. I'm a jr at a four year college on my way to become a teacher, and I can tell you that the things you say bother me. There are a lot of people here with research based knowledge, and writing everyone off because you don't agree with what they say is rediculious. I thought you said you love your animals, so wouldn't you want to learn how to make their life the best it can be?

I'm steering clear of this thread, no point in trying to educate someone when they already obviously know everything.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I agree but they said they had a rabbit and a guinea pig. I didn't think they were housed together from that statement .. though they may be.

But ditto on being able to meet the space requirements. If you let most rabbits loose in a library, they would chew up the books in short order.

Oh my, a rabbit and a guinea pig? Those animals should NOT be together and should have a companion each of their own species.
Just because you've taken care of animals in your class room in the past will NEVER make it the ideal environment for them. It is selfish.
You may not see their physical harm, but it is there.
A classical example of a person putting their needs above an animal's and over rationalizing the situation to death to suit their OWN needs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.