Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Rumblestrutting rumble strutting female?

VictoriaG

Cavy Slave
Hello all,

I am assuming the behavior my girls are showing is normal but I wanted to check.

Bel and Tukki were very young when we got them, we've had them about 3 weeks now and once they settled into their environment they started to establish dominance which I was expecting but Tukki has continued to rumble strut regularly.

Bel doesn't seem to bother too much about this and she's not aggressive but she fully sways from side to side and rumbles quite regularly. Even this morning when I came down to a chorus of excited squeaks and stopped to say hello to them, they were excited and Bel Popcorned a bit and jumped about, Tukki partially popcorned accompanied by a rumble strut, even she looked confused :p.

Myself and my husband have checked, checked and triple checked to make sure she's a girl and we are certain she is!

Is it normal?

Oh.. they are pretty young probably under 3 months :)

MochaAndMoo

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Definitely normal, both males and females rumble-strut to establish dominance.

YourSoJelly

Cavy Slave
Yup. Rumble strutting is totally normal. My girls still do it after 1 week of being in the same cage. It has gotten better but when the veggies come in to play, forget about it! They are all best friends! :D

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
My girls are 1 and 2 and do it when they're feeling hormonal. Perfectly normal.

guinnymom23

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My two girls did it when we introduced the third girl...I was worried they would try to dominate her but they surprised me when they seemed to "turn on each other"?

[video=youtube;p1P_pJTj4YA]

Here is a video (hope it works) showing a bit of the dominance that happened when Cocoa first came into the cage.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
I have that green pellet dish! Not the lettuce one :)

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
My girls do it too! It changes about every month who dominates who. Sookie has been dominate this month last month it was Pinky. LOL

oldnewie

Cavy Slave
yeah my girls do the same! Holly has been doing it for the past 2 days, even gave Tilly a nip or two. They're not really friends but get on well enough most of the time, & it's during their 'hormonal' times they take turns doing their rumblestrutting & harassing. All normal.

VictoriaG

Cavy Slave
thank you for all the replies and the video @guinnymom23

I've been able to watch their behavior a bit more the last few days and I have a feeling that the rumbler Tukki is guarding all the items in their cage. She'll stand at the entrance and rumble strut when Bel wants to go inside. I am also a little concerned because when we weighed them a couple of weeks ago Bel was slightly ahead of Tukki but when they were weighed this week Tukki has grown a huge amount and has now over taken Bel. Bel has still grown healthily but I think Tukki hogs the food as well!

piggi_zone

Cavy Slave
the one piggy that has the but tail is interesting

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.