Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Ridiculous Question...Store food in cheeks?

Keekers

Cavy Slave
Do guinea pigs store food in there cheeks to 'eat at a later time'? I really don't think they do, but i'm just checking since there aren't any topics about it. Some person on yahoo answers knows a lot about guinea pigs, but they say they store food in their cheeks. Like hamsters.

PooTrishy

Cavy Slave
No, piggies don't store food in their cheeks. Don't worry, your question isn't that ridiculous. =)

Sekhmet

Cavy Slave
I know where they store their food at, and no it isn't their cheeks either :D

TailsfatboyEdited.jpg

krystalmoore86

Cavy Slave
I know where they store their food at, and no it isn't their cheeks either :D

TailsfatboyEdited.jpg

That's a famiar site mine seem to store their food in the same area! Haha.That looks like a very cute and well fed piggy.

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
HahahahaHOHO ! Oh my you guys are just too funny ! Oh my. Boy did I laugh HARD on that one !

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They don't store food in their cheeks like hamsters -- they don't have the pouches that hamsters do. They do sometimes have unswallowed food in their mouths, however, but usually just small amounts on the sides and down by their gums. I have read, but don't know how true it is, that the unswallowed food is one of the reasons it's difficult to anesthetize guinea pigs, since there's a danger of the food getting down into their lungs. Anybody know more about this?

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
Yes, I have read that too !

On the guinea lynx web site they say, here is the quote: " In a few cases, guinea pigs under anesthesia have aspirated food trapped in a hidden pocket in the throat."

However, according to both cavy spirit and guinea lynx, when talking specifically about surgery and under anesthesia, they both generally agree that most guinea pigs cannot regurgitate or vomit/choke their food like humans, cats and dogs can while under anesthesia., so there is no reason to have them fast for more than two hours before surgery.( aside from the fact that they can get hypoglycemia and gastrointestinal changes because their bodies need a constant supply of food.)

So, am I understanding this correctly, that guinea pigs can't choke ? If they can "cough" can't they also choke ? Hmmmm...I really am still, not sure if they can or not. ???

Last edited:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They can definitely choke. Just within the past few weeks, one poster at Guinea Lynx lost her guinea pig when it choked on a piece of carrot.

Why are you understanding that they can't choke, kathlaaron?

PooTrishy

Cavy Slave
HAHAHA! That's really funny! And so true, my pigs all seem to hide their food in their little bottoms =D

kathlaaron

Cavy Slave
They can definitely choke. Just within the past few weeks, one poster at Guinea Lynx lost her guinea pig when it choked on a piece of carrot.

Why are you understanding that they can't choke, kathlaaron?

Well I guess I am surmised that if they can't vomit, that they can't choke. However, I realize now, that making that parallel between the two was stupid..

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.