Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Red at bottom of eye?

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
I noticed one of my guinea pigs has something red at the bottom of her eye? I'm not exactly sure how to describe it so here are some pictures.
photo 1 (1).JPGphoto 2 (1).JPG
Does anyone know what this could be? Is this something I should be concerned about & take her to a vet for?
Thank you for any help, I appreciate it.

TheDNDWizard

Cavy Slave
Looks like allergies to me.

SomethingFunny

Cavy Slave
I can't tell from the picture but it sort of looks like a bit of the tissue around her eye is swollen, like maybe something got between her eye and eyelid and poked? Or maybe an infection? It's big enough that I would think if it were just a piece of fabric or something that she would have blinked it out by now. My instinct on this would be to go to the vet, if it's a poking injury or something stuck in there they would probably be able to flush it out, and if it's an infection it's always better to get it handled sooner rather than later. That said I'm a new piggie owner so I could be over reacting. Hope she gets well soon!

PiggieGuinea

Cavy Slave
It looks like a condition called "pea eye" to me. Now, Im not sure how true my book is but it says you dont have to take them to the vet, but I would just in case. You may need an ointment to heal it.

guineapigsxo

Cavy Slave
Thank you everyone for the replies. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.