Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sounds Rare Guinea Pig Chirping?

PiggieLover101

Cavy Slave
So, today we introduced 2 year old Nibbles to her new friend Charlotte that we adopted yesterday (I know we should have waited a bit to see if the new addition was sick, but Nibbles was very upset after her old friend passed on the 24th. They?re still separated from each other in the cage but were introduced briefly on neutral ground earlier today.) A few minutes ago, Nibbles made the rare chirping noise that we?ve only heard our first pig make a couple times a few years ago. Do you think this has to do with the new arrival? I know it?s a highly debated subject but I was wondering, maybe it?s not a coincidence since she?s never made that noise before meeting Charlotte.

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I can't say if the presence of a new guinea pig is related to the chirping or not, but I can say if they have already met each other briefly then you should just go ahead and do introductions when you have several hours free to watch over them (proper introductions should be a one-and-done event, letting them meet then splitting them up again just increases their stress and doesn't help as they have to start establishing dominance from scratch every time).

Quarantine has already been broken, so there isn't a benefit to keeping them seperate, and if Nibbles is depressed it may help her to have her new friend in the same shared space sooner rather than later. For information about how to properly go about introductions read https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.