Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Questions about hay.

kp53179

Cavy Slave
Those of you who have 2 pigs. How long does 15 lbs of KMS hay last you? I am going to keep a hay bag filled at all times, and I have 2 litter pans that I will fill with hay for them to either eat or roll around in. My one boar loves to sleep in litter boxes so this will be more comfy I am sure. If I switch the 2 litter trays out at least every other day and fill the hay bag, on average how long will it last? Would love to hear personal experiences. Oh and is 3rd cut timothy hay the best as far as softness and quality? Thanks!

My two pigs go through 45 pounds of KM hay in 6-7 months, so 15 pounds should last you between 2 and 3 months. I do not put it down for them to roll around in, though. I just keep the hay racks full.

Okay I honestly wasn't sure what to do. I want my pigs to be happy and I know they love to burrow so I am not sure..? Thanks though :)

I was also thinking of layering the litter pans with hay as a bedding as well as them rolling around in it! I dont know if this will be more of a hassle, so far so good. I will have to try it out when I order!

I feel like that would be a waste just because they really seem to like to use the hay as their bathroom. All pigs are different though :) if it were me, I would just keep the hay off the ground and let them make the mess so they can have fun and it's less mess for both you and the pigs.

Yeah that makes sense! I would love to save hay but at the same time they were soo cute when i filled the litter pan with hay. They popcorned and jumped right underneath. Maybe every now and then I will just put a pile of it in the cage and not as a litter bedding. Thanks :)

Mine have their hay in rack, but I put orchard grass sometimes in the middle of the fleece. They love to play in it and eat it, they don't even go to the bathroom in it :) might be an idea as a fun treat :)

Good idea :) Thanks!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.