Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Possibly getting pregnant females

mrs.zen

Cavy Slave
Hello, I'm not even sure if I'm in the right place-postwise but it seemed the closest catagory to what I was looking for.

I have come across a situation that I'm not sure how to proceed in. Someone is looking to rehome their pregnant guinea pig and her possibly pregnant cagemate because they don't have time for them anymore. I replied and asked for more details-I wasn't sure what their fate might be if they weren't properly cared for up until and after birthing. They sent me a picture of 4 piggies and told me which ones in the photo were girls. So, the "90% sure she's pregnant girl" and the" I think she may be pregnant too girl" are hanging out with males. So undoubtably they will probably be pregnant soon if they aren't already.

I don't know how to proceed with this. I was told I could have both girls and a cage for like $25. I have never dealt with pregnant piggies and I'm not sure if I'm biting off more than I can chew. I fear what will happen if they have trouble giving birth or some other problem when they aren't even wanted now. Can 2 females even share a cage if they are both pregnant?

I honestly don't want to ask this owner too many questions as not to put her off, but I want to be educated. Right now I have only females that happily all live together in a C&C cage. Can anyone offer any advice or suggestions on how to handle this?

Thank you!

rachelappel

Cavy Slave
Re: Not sure what to do...

Pregnant sows do have slightly different requirements as far as diet and nutrition go. First off, I would recommend reading this page: https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html
I would also try to find an exotic animal or small animal vet in your area who might be able to help you with them during labor (should, god forbid, something go wrong). I was very blessed to have not only an exotic vet 20 minutes from home, but she also specialized in small animals; she was a tremendous help when I rescued an abandoned prego female last summer.

mrs.zen

Cavy Slave

Thanks-I will read up on things. I do have a vet who will see exotics-I have taken my ferrets and rats to them in years past.

I'm having issues getting answers on the piggies. They are being very evasive (sp?) in their answers. I hope that I can help out these possibly pregnant Mom's.

rachelappel

Cavy Slave

That's great about the vet :) I would assume you'd do just fine with pregnant piggies. Obviously there isn't much you can do about them being pregnant if they were with male piggies, so just providing them with a good home and making them as comfortable as you can will be the best thing you can do for them. Basically alfalfa hay and making sure they get lots of vitamin c are the biggest points. hopefully they are younger so everybody will be okay giving birth but...you might want to be prepared to hand raise pups if something happens to the mom(s) :/

That's not good that they're being sketchy. Perhaps a phone call of in-person visit would be best?

mrs.zen

Cavy Slave

I am trying to arrange a visit for the Friday, that way I can see what's going on. I'm sure I won't be able to resist them once I see them in person :)
Until then-I'm going to gather as much info as I can, just in case. Thank you again :)

Oh, they told me they were about 7 months old.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave

I have boys... So I have absolutely no idea about pregnant females, but I agree with rachelappel, you should ask to see them in person. This way you can see exactly what you're dealing with and you can check them over and see if they're healthy before totally agreeing to take them. See what kind of cage she's giving you so that you know if you need to get more c&c supplies too. I have no idea how big your current cage is or how many girls you already have but I think you'll want to keep them separate from the others until after they give birth. Are you ready to re-home babies? Are you prepared if they have boys? These are questions you should make sure you can answer first, I think boys have to be separated from mom after 3 weeks, but @Colorado Cavies knows better than I do since she rescued 2 pregnant pigs herself. (one of the babies is my little Yoda)

Anyway, you couldn't be on a more helpful site! there are many people here who have been in similar situations and can help you out!

And if I'm wrong about something, someone please correct me :)

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave

Please save them, I know it seems a little much but if you can care for them that would be wonderful.

Honestly, I would go and pick up all the pigs, sex them (careful with the pregnant ones) and seperate and males/females. Two pregnant sows can stay together, just no males AT ALL.

mrs.zen

Cavy Slave

Yes, I figure at the very least I will keep them from getting pregnant again :) And of course I will care for them. I just feel so bad for them-so I really want to take them out of the situation.
I definately would keep the 2 mom's seperate. I actually picked up a few boxes of grids when they were on sale at Sears awhile back and we got a sheet of coroplast at Home Depot that's down in our garage just waiting to be used-lol! I'm prepared with extra housing should there be any males and would be willing to keep them all here if I couldn't place them in homes.
Thank you all for the advice, I feel alot better about everything now. I figure that I'll be taking the girls and possibly the boys if we make the trip on Friday. We are actually about 3 hours, one way, from these sweeties.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave

It would probably be best to keep the mama's together with each other. That way they can help each other clean off the babies. Just be sure to sex the babies and separate any males from females at 21 days. To help the males with socializing is to put them in with adult males who will teach them how to drink, eat and such...

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

I can't believe they're asking for money. They should be giving you money to take them off their hands.

mrs.zen

Cavy Slave

O.K., first of all, thanks for moving me to the right catagory-not sure how I missed the "Pregnancy/Babies" section...
So, last night I lost contact with the owner of these piggies. No response to e-mails. The last e-mail I got was, "I'm not sure if they are pregnant, but they look like they are".
This am, they are listed as all 4-2 females and 2 males for $70. No mention of pregnancy. 2 females in a kaytee cage and the 2 males in a tank. From looking at the pictures-two of them look much smaller than the other two.
Tonight I see, FREE guinea pigs ages 6 weeks to 7 months. Obviously the two older piggies are the parents of the two smaller ones and from what she said last night-the younger female was "possibly" pregnant so obviously pregnant by her father. She keeps posting pictures of the 4 of them together.
I am beyond pissed...wth????? I want to contact her under another name/e-mail and just get them because obviously I asked too many questions.
I just don't know if I can take on all 4, with an unexplained/inconsistant history of the group. I am so mad. What is she/he trying to pull????
I am starting to really hate some people. Just be gosh dang honest for crying out loud. I am willing to travel a round trip of 6 hours for dishonesty???
Actually, I am. Is that wrong??

mrs.zen

Cavy Slave
They are not listed anymore-I hope whoever got them takes care of them no matter what the situation. I attempted to respond with a different name/e-mail but I obviously was too late. This is really going to bother me.

Rhinos_mom

Cavy Slave
Wow.... people these days! I can't believe that.... I'm mad for you!

mrs.zen

Cavy Slave
I wish I would've handled things differentely, but I gave it my best shot. I just pray that someone knowledgeable took them and is only out to help them. We can't save them all but I will do my best to help whenever I can. Thanks everyone :)

rachelappel

Cavy Slave
that is such a shame that people have to be like that, especially when it comes to pets :( hopefully somebody like you was able to save them!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.