Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing Possible URI?

Nat453

Cavy Slave
I recently got another guinea pig for my two boys (he was quarantined at his last home so I could I introduce him straight away as I didn't have enough space for two cages) and I hadn't noticed any sneezing when I picked him up or on the way home. I did proper introduction and they went AMAZING. My boys accepted him straight away and they absolutely adore each other already. But now I've noticed him sneezing quite a lot. No crusty eyes/nose or any other URI symptoms, just a lot of sneezing. I think I'll probably take him to the vets tomorrow if he keeps sneezing but is this normal? Or could something else be causing the sneezing? He was on wood shavings I think and now he's on fleece if that makes a difference. My other two aren't affected by it, but maybe he's more sensitive? I don't know. I was just wondering what other things could cause it or if it's early signs of a URI. If so, all three piggies are having a trip to the vets. Thanks :)

Nessy

Cavy Slave
I'm not trying to give advice as I am no where near experienced enough, neither am I trying to give a misleading suggestion, but I'll mention a thought for others to comment on: Obviously seeing a vet is the safe and sensible option, but if it turns out that the vet says that it's not a URI is it possible that your new pig is a little bit allergic to your wash powder? I did read that cavies are rather sensitive to chemicals.

Nat453

Cavy Slave
@Nessy I was thinking that, it seems to have calmed down a bit now though. He was sneezing at least once every 10 minutes, but now not as often so I'm hoping the change in environment, different smells ect is what set him off. Now I'm noticing a bit of scratching too, poor piggy. He looks and acts perfectly healthy apart from that. At least I've caught it early if it does turn out to be an illness. :)

Nat453

Cavy Slave
I've also noticed that one of his eyes sticks out a bit more than the other. Is there anything that could have caused it or is this normal? We're off to the vets soon to get him checked out so I'll let you all know what he says when we get back. Fingers crossed its something easily treatable :)

Nat453

Cavy Slave
Peanut has what looks like the early stages of a URI. (Sneezing, runny nose) but is perfectly healthy otherwise, which means we caught it early and he should be perfectly fine! He's had a baytril injection and has got two doses for the next two days. I ended up breaking down crying in the vets (I have mild anxiety and your average worry-wart) but they were all so lovely about my blubbering and calmed me down. He's now having a little nap from all the excitement but isn't very happy to be on his own. His brothers keep calling for him, it's so cute. (They're in separate rooms).

Nat453

Cavy Slave
The vet also recommended putting a vitamin C tablet in his water so he "doesn't get depressed", I've read on here not to do that but other than that he seemed pretty cavy savvy. He does look rather down compared to yesterday (he's no longer with his brothers) but will extra vitamin C really help him? And is there another way of doing it other than in his water? I don't want him getting dehydrated.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.