Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Possible Arthritis?

jbwkr

Cavy Slave
Hello! To start with:

I have a senior guinea pig named Simba, around 6.5 years old, going on 7 years in July. Recently I’ve noticed her making little squeaking noises when she poops. NOT URINATE. No blood when urinating either, though I do see opaque calcium pee. I watched her constantly to make sure it was also happening when she was peeing, and not only pooping, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. It also happens only 50% of the time from what I’ve seen.

Took her to the vet and we checked for bladder stones (X-ray) and UTI, but she had neither. The doc had her on simethicone for a few days to see if she’d improve, but not much changes. Currently off simethicone and decided to simply monitor her to see if her condition gets worse.

Despite her old age she’s still drinking water and eating normally, and fairly energetic with her cage mate.
I’ve read that arthritis can possibly make it painful for older guinea pigs to poop, so I was wondering if maybe this is the case. I’ve tried checking her for arthritis myself and I can’t really seem to figure it out; was wondering if anyone here also think the same or have any idea on why this might be happening.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.