Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Possibly overweight?

CuddlyPiggies!!

Cavy Slave
Hello! I’m slightly concerned for one of my piggies, as she possibly may be overweight? My boyfriend and family joke around saying shes a fat pig, but I’m not sure if she is or not?

I’ve used the guinea pig “Size-o-meter” for reference:
(broken link removed)

If someone could please help me out, that’d be awesome!

Attachments

EB4C8920-4D02-4899-B1C9-54A023826CE7.jpeg F6A25EAD-135B-42C1-AA4C-6D71C5AAFA08.jpeg CBF825C1-9596-44AA-9A03-60111A441187.jpeg
My first question would be how old is she? And my second one would be how much does she weigh in grams? If you don't weigh her on a regular basis, you should be. Get yourself a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams. Weigh her once a week, preferably at the same time of day. Then you can get a baseline on what her regular weight is, and a better idea of whether or not she's overweight. Personally just looking at her, I don't think she is, not even close.

It is very very hard for a guinea pig to be overweight unless they have been drastically overfed pellets, particularly if they are lower quality pellets, or they have mobility issues.

Adult guinea pigs are normally pear shaped with a round stomach. Also when they get sick they typically drop weight like crazy so having a higher starting point gives you more time to figure out what is wrong.

You should be weighting them ideally weekly at roughly the same time of day otherwise there may be differences due to what they have recently eaten/not eaten. If they are over 1yr-1.5 yrs old you are looking for a relatively stable weight (some reach their full adult size sooner then others), if they are younger you would ideally be looking for a general upwards trend. If you see some sudden drastic weight loss (think like 80-100 grams in a week), or notice a downward trend over several weeks that is usually the first sign that something might be going wrong with their health.

Hello! I’m slightly concerned for one of my piggies, as she possibly may be overweight? My boyfriend and family joke around saying shes a fat pig, but I’m not sure if she is or not?

I’ve used the guinea pig “Size-o-meter” for reference:
(broken link removed)

If someone could please help me out, that’d be awesome!
I assume she’s young based on those feet. She’s fine! Pigs sorta regulate their weight. They don’t get fat. They only eat enough then they are fine:)

My first question would be how old is she? And my second one would be how much does she weigh in grams? If you don't weigh her on a regular basis, you should be. Get yourself a digital kitchen scale that weighs in grams. Weigh her once a week, preferably at the same time of day. Then you can get a baseline on what her regular weight is, and a better idea of whether or not she's overweight. Personally just looking at her, I don't think she is, not even close.
She is 7 months old as of now, and when I weighed her on Sunday, she was 646 grams. I weight them every week on Sunday, always at 1pm, but sometimes I deviate, but no more than a few minutes.

Last edited:
It is very very hard for a guinea pig to be overweight unless they have been drastically overfed pellets, particularly if they are lower quality pellets, or they have mobility issues.

Adult guinea pigs are normally pear shaped with a round stomach. Also when they get sick they typically drop weight like crazy so having a higher starting point gives you more time to figure out what is wrong.

You should be weighting them ideally weekly at roughly the same time of day otherwise there may be differences due to what they have recently eaten/not eaten. If they are over 1yr-1.5 yrs old you are looking for a relatively stable weight (some reach their full adult size sooner then others), if they are younger you would ideally be looking for a general upwards trend. If you see some sudden drastic weight loss (think like 80-100 grams in a week), or notice a downward trend over several weeks that is usually the first sign that something might be going wrong with their health.
I barely feed them pellets, and when I do, its the Oxbow Garden Select adult guinea pig food, and they get 2 tablespoons at night. My last time weighing her (Sunday) she was 646 grams.

I assume she’s young based on those feet. She’s fine! Pigs sorta regulate their weight. They don’t get fat. They only eat enough then they are fine:)
Your pig is not overweight. On the contrary, personally I would want to see her gain more. Sows are generally smaller than boars but not always. 696 at 7 months old is just fine.

By the way, you can tell your boyfriend and your family that she is absolutely adorable just the way she is!

Your pig is not overweight. On the contrary, personally I would want to see her gain more. Sows are generally smaller than boars but not always. 696 at 7 months old is just fine.

By the way, you can tell your boyfriend and your family that she is absolutely adorable just the way she is!
Phew! She has always been smaller anyways, so the weight looks silly on her sometimes.

I will definitely tell them that! They never doubt her cuteness, but they love joking about her “big bootay“ 🤪

She's nowhere near overweight. As Soecara says, guinea pigs don't become obese unless they're free-feeding pellets, or can't move for some reason. My adult sows always weighed close to or well over 1200 grams, and I wouldn't have put them on a diet for anything.

She's nowhere near overweight. As Soecara says, guinea pigs don't become obese unless they're free-feeding pellets, or can't move for some reason. My adult sows always weighed close to or well over 1200 grams, and I wouldn't have put them on a diet for anything.
Thank you for your input!! I guess I just worry as they seem lazy a lot, especially as these last few days I’ve been working at home so I’ve had the chance to sit in my living room and watch them all day, and they love to eat their hay, sometimes go through the tunnels, and chew on toys, but they usually just lay down in the fleece forest i’ve made for them

I only barely saw this message, but yes! Shes quite young, we got her at 14 weeks old on May 23, so she’s definitely grown! Funny you mention her feet, as often times, she’ll always drag her back ones! I don’t mean in a way that she’s paralyzed or that they’re broken, but shes the only piggy i’ve had who spreads them out like a model!

Dragging the back feet can be a sign of a vitamin C deficiency. What exactly are you feeding her? And how much of each item?

Dragging the back feet can be a sign of a vitamin C deficiency. What exactly are you feeding her? And how much of each item?
Huh. I had no clue about that!

Well, for hay, I have oxbow western timothy hay, pellets are Oxbow garden select, and for Veggies, I feed romaine, a bit of cilantro, tomatoes, and a sliver of carrot.

I have kale, but I don’t have the right stuff for storing it, so I’ve frozen it for now.

I went to the vet a few weeks before we got Dolly (The one that drags her legs) for my other Piggy, Peaches, and he told us that she had a Vitamin C deficiency, but I changed her diet so I had assumed she was better based on her activity.

Last edited:
Your pig isn't getting nearly enough vitamin C. The best source is bell pepper--green has the least, going up through red, orange and yellow with the most. However, the sugar is in reverse order, with yellow having the most and green the least. I always gave mine a big chunk of bell pepper every day, like a fourth of a medium sized-pepper.

And just as an FYI, some pigs can have trouble with urinary calcium when eating romaine lettuce and/or cilantro. Neither is particularly high in calcium, and it doesn't affect all pigs. But some will develop urinary tract stones when eating a regular diet of romaine. I'd prefer almost any other green lettuce except iceberg.

Your pig isn't getting nearly enough vitamin C. The best source is bell pepper--green has the least, going up through red, orange and yellow with the most. However, the sugar is in reverse order, with yellow having the most and green the least. I always gave mine a big chunk of bell pepper every day, like a fourth of a medium sized-pepper.

And just as an FYI, some pigs can have trouble with urinary calcium when eating romaine lettuce and/or cilantro. Neither is particularly high in calcium, and it doesn't affect all pigs. But some will develop urinary tract stones when eating a regular diet of romaine. I'd prefer almost any other green lettuce except iceberg
I’ve tried bell pepper but Peaches won’t ever eat it. I could try giving them bell peppers again, I just hope they don’t go to waste like the last time I had them.

I’ll switch off the romaine after they finish this last batch (there isn’t much left, maybe 1 or 2 more dinners of it)

You can teach a guinea pig to eat almost anything. Dice the peppers very, very fine -- think a pencil eraser in 12-15 parts. Sprinkle the pepper on something they really like -- it can be pellets, or another veg. Do this several times, and they'll get enough of it to get accustomed to the taste. Then try them on the pepper by itself.

This morning, Dolly looked like she was limping. Maybe she was just walking silly, but I’m really scared! She loves to popcorn and zoom, so I’m worried she got hurt! I haven’t dropped her or anything like that, so I don’t know what happened! Please help!

Its possible she may have caught a toe in something, or zoomied and landed wrong. If you can determine which leg she's favouring, have a good look at it. If you can see anything obvious, just keep an eye on her. If it isn't improving in a day or two or gets worse, get her to an exotic vet as soon as possible.

Its possible she may have caught a toe in something, or zoomied and landed wrong. If you can determine which leg she's favouring, have a good look at it. If you can see anything obvious, just keep an eye on her. If it isn't improving in a day or two or gets worse, get her to an exotic vet as soon as possible.
I’ve been watching her, and it seems to have gotten better? I can tell shes doing it but not as much as yesterday

And just as an FYI, some pigs can have trouble with urinary calcium when eating romaine lettuce and/or cilantro. Neither is particularly high in calcium, and it doesn't affect all pigs. But some will develop urinary tract stones when eating a regular diet of romaine. I'd prefer almost any other green lettuce except iceberg.
I’d personally love to thank you for these tips! I’ve been giving my guinea pigs 1/4th of a yellow bell pepper every day since, 1/8th in the morning/noon, and 1/8th during dinner time! They love eating green leaf lettuce and they are always so excited for their bell pepper treats!
[GuineaPigCages.com] Possibly overweight?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.