Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Possibly overweight?

I can save you a bit of time :D. Just give them the slice of pepper. No need to dice it. Those teeth are like razor knives, and can chew up just about anything you give them.

I can save you a bit of time :D. Just give them the slice of pepper. No need to dice it. Those teeth are like razor knives, and can chew up just about anything you give them.
Haha! I only do it because if I gave them 1 full slice at once, only 1 of them will actually get the pepper!

My boys get 1/8 of an entire pepper a day, each.

@bpatters Dolly lost a tooth (top) and I’m really scared. It seemed to have broken off right around the gum area, but I can feel the tooth sticking out on her gum. I don’t know if she was being reckless and was chewing something or if it was some other reason

also im really sorry for sending so many messages, i feel really bad for wasting yalls time 😓

You're not wasting our time as long as you're asking questions that you need to have answered.

Guinea pig teeth grow really fast, so you may not need to do anything. But as the tooth grows out, check to see if it has a really sharp point on it. If so, you may need to either clip it yourself or take Dolly to the vet to have it clipped.

Then, watch to make sure her bottom teeth don't get really uneven. It may take them a while to even out, and they'll probably do that on their own. But if they don't, a vet may need to even them.

Just make sure you're seeing an exotic vet, or at least one with exotic experience. Small animal vets (for dogs and cats) very often trim guinea pig teeth too short, and then they can't pick up their food. You'll be doing a lot of hand feeding if that happens.

Just got diagnosed with the flu yesterday, Influenza B, and the past days I’ve been handling my piggies quite a bit, so I’m really worried now that I’ve spread it to them! I know I need to be looking for signs, no matter how small, but theyre still eating and running up to me whenever they hear me walking towards them or hear my voice. Only thing I could think of would be the fact that they’re lazy, but they’re always like that, even though I try to give them plenty of enrichment. They’ll usually lay down for a few hours every day, but most of the time they just chill, eat, drink, and run.

Any other symptoms I should look for? I haven’t heard any coughing, sneezing, (other than when they clean themselves), or wheezing, so I think I’m in the clear for now, as theres nothing abnormal, but I just want to be careful.

Idk if they can catch stuff from us (I know hamsters can get Covid from us tho!), but if you're concerned you can always wear gloves and a mask around them.

Ditto about wearing the mask. But I think that's probably all you need to do.

You're not wasting our time as long as you're asking questions that you need to have answered.

Guinea pig teeth grow really fast, so you may not need to do anything. But as the tooth grows out, check to see if it has a really sharp point on it. If so, you may need to either clip it yourself or take Dolly to the vet to have it clipped.

Then, watch to make sure her bottom teeth don't get really uneven. It may take them a while to even out, and they'll probably do that on their own. But if they don't, a vet may need to even them.

Just make sure you're seeing an exotic vet, or at least one with exotic experience. Small animal vets (for dogs and cats) very often trim guinea pig teeth too short, and then they can't pick up their food. You'll be doing a lot of hand feeding if that happens.
I’m sorry I just have one more question for the moment.

Ever since I got Dolly, she has always been messy, getting food stains all over her chin, neck, even tummy sometimes to the point where her neck is stained green!!

I know drooling is a sign of malocclusion and teeth issues, but is drooling the same as getting all the juices onto her chin if you understand what I’m saying?

My wording is terrible, sorry 🥲

I’m sorry I just have one more question for the moment.

Ever since I got Dolly, she has always been messy, getting food stains all over her chin, neck, even tummy sometimes to the point where her neck is stained green!!

I know drooling is a sign of malocclusion and teeth issues, but is drooling the same as getting all the juices onto her chin if you understand what I’m saying?

My wording is terrible, sorry 🥲
All pigs are messy eaters. My Leo looks like he ate a tube of paint of whatever colour fruit or veggie he had! Any pigs I have had that have a white chest have always managed to get food stains all over it on a daily basis.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.