Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

possible mistreated pig

rlesko1129

Cavy Slave
So this thursday I will have my new pig for a month. We will begin to introduce her to my other two at this time. One thing that seems to be troubling me is that I really feel that she may have been mistreated. I know that her origin was from a petstore, I got her from a friend's friend, shortly after that person got her from the petstore. This person realized that having a guinea pig wasn't for them and they could not bring it back to the pet store... being the piggie lover that I am I decided to give this little girl a better life. The reason I think she may have been mistreated is her reactions to things. For example, she is in a small CC cage until quaratine is over and it is impossible to take her out without giving her unbelievable amount of stress. I orginially did not think too much of this because my other 2 ladies where a little skittish at first. My concerns began when things began to get worse rather than better. Picking her up is stressful, putting her down is stressful and even just calmly holding her can be stressful. I am looking for some input on what I can do for her. Her being this skittish makes me nervous to add her to the cage with my two ladies. As of right now she barely comes out of her pigloo and I don't want to add her to my two girls being that afraid, one of my girls is a bit of a bully. I have been trying to handle her several times a day to show her that being held isn't a negative thing. I try to give her healthy treats while I am holding her so she can associate being held with yummy treats. So far this hasn't helped, she wont even smell the treats, I know she loves what I give her because those are the first things that are gone from her bowl.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
I know this isn't a popular opinion, but we don't use pigloos. We use a 30"x30" fleece baby blanket (you can find them at most drug stores) with two ends tied to a side of the cage about 4-5 grids up and 8-10 grids across to make little tents.

They're open on each end, so they're not as isolating as pigloos, yet the piggy still feels safe. We give our piggies rubs and massages through the blanket when they're under them. All the while, talking to them in a quiet, calm, soothing voice.

This has worked very well with all of our rescues. Even the most timid, frightened ones.

We use that method along with keeping our hands in their cage as much as possible. Clean up poos, add hay, straighten blankets/cuddle cups, or just pretend to be doing something. Anything but trying to pick up, or touch, the piggy. All the while, be talking to the piggy in that soothing, quiet voice.

I hope this helps. It has worked wonders for all of our rescues. Some of which we thought would never be able to be calmed down, or tamed. Within a couple of days, they've been running up to us for attention and petting!

Last edited:

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Has she been treated for mites? Could be an underlying problem there.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
kathrynj has a good point...she may be uncomfortable, or in pain, when being touched or held.

More often than not, pet store pigs do have mites.

Here is a link for treating mites yourself (at home). We use the pour-on ivermectin treatments because it has an open top (no needle necessary to draw it out of the bottle), and it just takes a drop, or two, behind the ear for about 3 treatments (every 7-10 days). Topical Ivermectin

Even if she doesn't have mites, the treatment won't harm her. It's probably a good idea to go ahead and treat her before introducing her to the other piggies.

Feylin

Cavy Slave
Some pigs just don't like to be held! So keep that in mind as you keep trying. My skittish boy likes being wrapped in a towel like a burrito while being held. He likes to have his nose scratched! It took us weeks to get to this point and he isn't comfortable for longer than 5 min. I think it can take up to a year before the pigs will fall asleep on you. :)

rlesko1129

Cavy Slave
I have already taken this new pig to the vet, no mites, actually she got a clean bill of health :). My biggest issue is that the cage that she will be moving into makes it difficult enough to get out my 2 girls, and they are not nearly as skittish, getting her will be impossible which will make cage clean and whatnot very difficult. I hate to have her in the small cage that she is in for quaratine and would like to move her asap but between her being so scared of us and my buttercup being pushy this makes me nervous. I am constantly talking to her and doing things in and around her cage all the time but she just hides in her pigloo. I am not an impatient person I know that piggies take some time to get used to their owners but her case seems to be extreme.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
How exactly did the vet rule out mites?

rlesko1129

Cavy Slave
He ruled out mites by his physical exam and by me telling him my obsesrvations of her. She has no sign of mites at all, the only problem she has is her being very scared.

kathrynj

Cavy Slave
Guinea Lynx :: Parasites

I would go ahead and treat. Mites are microscopic, and live under the skin, so won't be seen on a physical exam, and skin scrapes are not reliable. Even with no scratching or hairloss, your pig could be harbouring mites, better to treat now than later. Mites could very well be the reason your piggie doesn't like handling, it could hurt.

faye205

Cavy Slave
That's so sweet of you. I just adopted two male gp from an animal hospital and they are still scared of me. It's going to take a while to get adjusted. Hope she gets better because now she has an awesome mommy.

ittybitty98577

Cavy Slave
I agree with a lot, I would treat her just to be safe. Also I adopted a piggy who was alone at the rescue, she was really skidish and didnt like to be picked up it was REALLY hard to catch her. I had to trap her in a pigloo other wise she would be running everywhere. But now she has gotten so much better since ive had her that she feels completly safe, I dont even use pigloos anymore she still has places to hide. But when I go to pic her up slowly she dosent run. She still wont take food out of my hand or even sniff it and if I put it near her she will run. But it takes time. My other two came from families and they are much tamer. Its all on handling and time. She will come around. Hey she might feel better being with piggies they might encourage her to be outgoing. I have a REALLY bossy one (shes the boss of me to!) and she does fine with nick the skidish one,they get along great. I hope that helps.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.