Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sick Please help my cavys and me!

madison45

Cavy Slave
It could just not have clumped buggers yet or it was the bedding they were on i hope that was all it is and just keep monitoring them

RodentCuddles

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Oh and what are they supposed to weigh? they're about 6 mths old

Fully grown guinea pig weights can range from 500 grams to 1300 grams (or more), we can't tell you how much they are suppose to weigh as it differs between the pig it's self, their diet and their environment.

What you need to do is weigh your pigs weekly so you can know what they're personal weights are, and if they suddenly drop or for an unknown reason go up fast then that will tell you something isn't right and they need to see a vet ASAP.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Ok I will definitely start weighing them more often! I will keep an eye on them. It might have just gotten all drained when i rinsed them off...or something I'll watch them. They seem to have stopped sneezing..for now anyway! Hopefully it was just their bedding

2198lindsey

Cavy Slave
You NEED to make a vet appointment for the next slot you can get in. If you cannot convince your parents, you need to surrender them to a rescue. Personally I think it's rather selfish to sit here and tell several people who spend thousands of dollars in vet bills on their guinea pigs that you just simply may not be able to. If you can't, give them up. This is not fair to your pigs and they deserve better.
Sometimes you have to be mature about it and just do what's best for these animals.

Guineapiggies30

Cavy Slave
Oh thats terrible its sounds like they may have a respitory infection. It can be very deadly if you dont get anti biotics. If its the cost your parents are worried about some vet facilities have programs to help sick pets without charge. Hope I helped! Best of luck

RodentCuddles

Cavy Slave
Ok I will definitely start weighing them more often! I will keep an eye on them. It might have just gotten all drained when i rinsed them off...or something I'll watch them. They seem to have stopped sneezing..for now anyway! Hopefully it was just their bedding

They need to see a cavy vet now. If you leave it to late, they'll be past saving. If you're parents aren't willing to allow you to care for them properly then I'm sorry to have to say this but you should not have them and should think about giving them up and surrendering them to a rescue or look for a loving family (or person, couple ect.) that will be able to fully care for them.

They are not cheap, easy, care-free pocket pets. They are money costing, time consuming, delicate loving animals who have needs that must be meet. If you can not meet their needs because your parents aren't in on it, then please for the care and well-being of the piggies find someone who can fully care for them.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
They are going to see a vet tomorrow. Hopefully the pet store will cover it, but my dad seems to be OK with paying. He was a lot more understanding than my mom. I should've asked him first. :p

madelineelaine

Cavy Slave
Good. Honestly I have to wonder if it's the best thing for them to be there, if you are iffy on vet care. My parents weren't pleased to spend 1000$+ this year on vet care, but It needed to happen. Izzy needed an exam, Felix needed an exam, and surgery, and antibiotics .. and they needed to be treated for mites. It definitely adds up.

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Good! The vet should prescribe antibiotics plus probiotics. Don't let the vet tell you to use yogurt as a probiotic. Guinea pigs are lactose intolerant and yogurt should never be used as a probiotic for them.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Ok I will keep all of that in mind.

I want to apologize one last time! I've apologized before but not for the right things or reasons....Thinking back and rereading my posts..I sound really selfish and awful! I just want to apologize for that and say thanks to everyone for slapping some sense into me. Next time, everything will go differently, I'm confident. I can afford to take them to the vet and my parents are ok with doing so. All is well.

They are going to a vet later today, ASAP! They are still doing OK and are in a separate cage with fleece.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Most pets should receive yearly vet visits. Especially senior animals. They'll likely charge you just the 1 visit and only charge additional for the medication per animal.

I have been to plenty of vets who charge for each animal brought in, even though they all had the same thing. I would tell the vet right off hand that you can only afford to pay the visit fee for one of them but you will buy meds for all.

I don't feel that all guinea pigs need to see a vet once a year. If you weigh your guinea pigs weekly and give them a quick health check every week, you will be on top of their health and take them in if needed. Regular exams can be expensive--why not save that money for when a real emergency happens?

MrWhistles

Cavy Slave
Most pets should receive yearly vet visits. Especially senior animals. They'll likely charge you just the 1 visit and only charge additional for the medication per animal.

I don't feel that all guinea pigs need to see a vet once a year.

I did say "most pets". Meaning; dogs, cats, equines, etc. I've been through quite a few vets, and as long as you don't bring in more than 3 or 4 animals, they'll charge you for 1 visit for all those animals. The only individual charges I've received are for blood work, vaccines, medications, nail trimmings etc.

Wither or not they'll charge you per animal, is likely going to depend on your area or the particular vet.

madison45

Cavy Slave
I hope every thing goes well and i am glad you could convince your parents

aeiou

Cavy Slave
OK so we took them to the vet at about 10, and yup it's URI for both of them. The vet said that it was caught early, thankfully. The two are still at the vet now. (We had to sell them back to petsmart, then they treat them at the vet [don't worry the vet was "cavy savvy" he knew what he was talking about] and then when they are better we can buy them back)

So hopefully they'll be better soon

cavy_jdas

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear they are being treated. How is the last one at home doing?

When the other two come back home, I strongly recommend that you quarantine them from each other for two weeks. You want to ensure that the one still at home is healthy and that all illness in the other two is completely gone.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
The one at home isn't showing any symptoms; she's her usual self! Thanks for asking.

aeiou

Cavy Slave
Uh oh...the one at home is sneezing. We are taking her to the vet asap

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer

aeiou

Cavy Slave

PixiePony

Cavy Slave
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.