Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Please help me! My girl is acting funny

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Pardon me if this doesn't make sense or if my typing is bad but I'm freaking out right now and can't stop crying.

My guinea pig has been acting fine all day and all of the sudden about 5 minutes ago she acted like she couldn't stand up and her eyes are darting back and forth. She won't stand up but she eats lettuce and hay when I give it to her.

Do I need to take her to an emergency vet?! I don't know what to do! I've had her for 3 years and she is my heart. I don't know what to do! I'm hysterical.

buttons

Cavy Slave
First of all, I know what you feel like - to think your piggie might be gone over rainbow bridge any moment....

I'm thinking that it isn't good. Darting eyes?!! At least she's eating but I do think that you should take her to an experienced emergency vet clinic to an exotic vet (who should know about guinea pigs).

Wish you all the best!,
Buttons

buttons

Cavy Slave
Pardon me if this doesn't make sense or if my typing is bad but I'm freaking out right now and can't stop crying.

My guinea pig has been acting fine all day and all of the sudden about 5 minutes ago she acted like she couldn't stand up and her eyes are darting back and forth. She won't stand up but she eats lettuce and hay when I give it to her.

Do I need to take her to an emergency vet?! I don't know what to do! I've had her for 3 years and she is my heart. I don't know what to do! I'm hysterical.

Does it hurt her to pick her up? Do her legs hurt? Do you think it may be her stomach?

Has she been losing weight lately??

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
WE are calling an emergency vet. she is trying very hard to walk, but is looking confused as if she is dizzy and yes her eyes are darting back and forth.

The ironic thing is I had a dream last night that Maisy (our newest addition) died and I woke up feeling horrible. I could not imagine this actually happening now. This is my first guinea pig and I could not stand to lose her.

I'm so upset and confused right now. I just am trying to comfort her until we can get somewhere to get her to a vet

buttons

Cavy Slave
Maybe on the drive to the clinic put her in a box with a warm blanket from the dryer to comfort her.

I'm going to pray for Maisy right now....*has a silent moment*

.....AMEN!!!

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
It's actually Layla who is ill but I had the dream about MAisy It is just so weird how this happened TODAY after thuis dream

She is still acting very funny and I cannot stop crying. We have called several places and nowhere sees anything but cats and dogs. My vet does not have an emergency number.

I'm so upset

OCPiggies

Cavy Slave
I noticed that you're in Columbus, OH. Doesn't OSU Vet Clinic have an emergency service? They are familiar with guinea pigs when I lived there I took my piggie there.
Good luck with Layla!! I hope things work out and it's nothing serious!

buttons

Cavy Slave
Oops! Sorry, ...now prays for Layla also...amen.

I'm looking on guinealynx.com for you, but so far haven't found anything...

Where do you live...I could search for emergency vets on there. I think they have that...

buttons

Cavy Slave

buttons

Cavy Slave
...I hope that helps you...and your piggie, Layla.

rhonda_j1954

Cavy Slave
" Hang in there, hon!" I can only imagine how upsetting this is for you. My heart goes out for you.:sorry: I hope your little one will be alright and you can get her some help. Please let us know how she is.

buttons

Cavy Slave
Here is a search result...I hope it's in the area...

Columbus, Ohio Dr. Michael VerHage
Morse Road Veterinary Clinic
1388 Morse Road
614-885-8070

buttons

Cavy Slave
A result from recommended vets:

Columbus

Animal Care Unlimited.
Animal Care Unlimited, Inc.
2665 Billingsley Rd. Columbus, Ohio 43235
Phone: (614)766-2317
Fax: (614)766-4508
Hours: Monday -Thursday 7AM - 8PM
Fridays 7AM - 6PM
Saturdays 7AM - 2PM

These folks treat pets of all types. I've seen pet skunks, geese and turtles in their waiting room.

Check out their guinea pig page:
(broken link removed)

They also have 24hr emergency care for established clients.
Dr Burton came out at 2:30 am and saved my pet rat Mac from choking to death.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Thank you guys so much, and buttons thank you for looking all of those up.

We just got off the phone with Animal Care Unlimited.

So, my boyfriend was on the phone with the on call vet and suddenly Layla started walking more...within 5 minutes her eyes were not darting back and forth. I put her on the floor and gave her some lettuce. She is walking better now but seems a little weak.

We believe that she had a seizure. We just looked it up online and said that it can include "twitching of eyes" and "tilting of the head".

I'm going to set up an appt tomorrow to get a blood test done to see what is going on.

I'm just thankful she is appearing to be back to her normal self. I literally started bawling thinking she was about to convulse and pass. I'm happy to see she is acting better and her eyes are not twitching anymore.

I'm almost sure it was a seizure and we're going to watch her closely during the night to see if it happens again and to watch her condition

Thank you all again for the wishes and the help. It is much appreciated.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Just as I posted that, my boyfriend told me her eyes are darting again. She is going right back to the way she was.

Going to the emergency vet now.

buttons

Cavy Slave
No problem, I'm very happy for Layla.

It does sound like a seizure...

I'm glad everything worked out!

-------------------------(edited)

AHHH!!!

Hope everything will be OK!

buttons

Cavy Slave
I will PM you tommorrow and check on Layla...
till then and all the best wishes!

Macha

Cavy Slave
Good luck with Layla. I hope everything works out.

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Yikes. Sounds neurological to me. Maybe seizures or even a stroke of some sort. Let us know what happens at the vet. Best wishes.

OSUCavies

Cavy Slave
Thanks again, guys.

Just got back from the Emergency Vet.

The vet believes that it is an ear infection (due to the tilting of the head and the walking around in circles). They wanted to give me drops for it but I actually already had some from a few months ago when I got my neutered boar. They also gave me some Baytril.

I just gave her some drops and Baytril and of course a lot of lettuce as her "lollipop" after being at the vet.

She's roaming around the cage as usual for right now which is great. I'm gonna keep a close eye on her but hope that it was afterall an ear infection.

The visit was just under 200 bucks, including the antibiotics. It was well worth it to know that Layla is going to be okay, hopefully.

Will keep you guys posted. Thanks again so much. Layla thanks you all, too...:love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.