Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Please help me, I'm having cage problems

ajeffreys12

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone. I have three Young boars, 4 months, 6 weeks, and 4 weeks. I have them in a 2x3 cage and I am trying to expand to have a second level also. If anyone have advice on that I would appreciate it. I'll post a pic of what I have so far, I'm not sure how to make a ramp so that's what I'm really needing help with. Also my youngest guy is so small he is squeezing through the squares in my c&c cage. So I really need advice on how to fix this, I don't want to move him to a separate pet store cage for several reasons the main ones being they are so little and I want him to stay with his brothers since they are all getting along so well.

Also so I hear that my boys will start fighting more when they get older. If you have experience with having 3 boars housed together please tell me your experience (good or bad) and any advice you have to keep my boys happy and not fighting.

Thanks

Traysea

Cavy Slave
You need to baby proof and back your grids with something so he can't get his head thru. Check here for ideas: (broken link removed)

You can build ramps out of coroplast or out of bent grids. I have a bent grid ramp in my cage:

1461075_10202209057165049_1868313507_n.jpg

As for the second level…. use wood dowels, broom sticks, wonder bars from the cage store, or 2"x2" wood from home depot etc. to support your second level. Just slip it thru the holes in the grids. If you are doing a FULL second level… giving your coroplast drop down fronts by using velcro to assemble the tray will make cleaning and reaching the piggies in easier. Just drop down the front of the coroplast and sweep the mess out in the trash. It also makes wiping down the coro easier.

Three boys in a 2x3 is going to be tricky. This site doesn't really recommend such a small footprint for three pigs let alone boys. If you can possible make it wider or longer that would be best. This site recommends longer/wider over second levels. I personally feel that if you CAN'T go any further out, then you going up is better than not doing anything.

You may run into troubles when they hit adolescence though.

Last edited:

ajeffreys12

Cavy Slave
Thank you. I will try to find the room to expand. I probably shouldn't have gotten my third pig but I seen him in a pet store abandoned in a fish tank and I could leave him. I don't have a lot of room to expand out so I will see what I can do.

Traysea

Cavy Slave
I think when it comes to boars, the people on here who have them feel that square is better than longer (3x3 is better than 2x5). Another thing you can do is an L shape if that will fit better. I hear 3 grid deep cages are wee bit harder to reach across for cleaning.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Using cable ties, attach chicken wire to the outer side of your cubes. It'll mean your little one can't get his head through, but it'll be removable when he's bigger! I'd do that as soon as possible because if he can get his head out, he can get stuck and suffocate to death if no ones home to get him out.

With regards to helping boars get along, doubling up on everything is a great way to give them extra space from one another. 3 feeding bowls, 3 hay racks, 3 water bottles, 3 hideys etc. Means they can get space and not fight over the food and sleeping areas. Give them as much free play time outside the cage that you can because it'll help them let off steam! Plenty of mentally stimulating toys, too, like a treat ball filled with veggies to keep them occupied! Good luck with yours boys! :)

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A ramp really isn't going to help you much with three boars all hitting adolescence about the same time. A ramp is just an invitation for one boar to block another from somewhere he wants to go. What you need is a lot of room for them to spread out and stay out of each other's way. They'll still squabble, but not as much as they would in a small cage.

Your cage is the minimum size for one pig, not three. Click on the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is ALWAYS better, particularly with young boars. If it were me, I'd look at the recommended size and then go UP at least one.

You can baby-proof the cage with cardboard up the sides. It can be removed when he's too big to get his head stuck.

maiden

Cavy Slave
Hi there
I have bought my 2 piggies a dog carrier cage. Get the 3 door one, which opens up on the top of the cage. To heighten the tray put 2 large plastic buckets underneath the tray, that makes it easier to pick up your babies and for cleaning. Also it takes a couple of minutes to assemble. You can buy many different sizes too.
https://www.oo.com.au/42-Inch-Metal-Collapsible-Dog-_P88081.cfm
I have bought 2 and I use the smaller one for when I clean out their inside cage or for when I take them out side to give them some fresh air and for them to look at different environment. Thanks guys.....................maiden

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.