Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

PETA - I repeat....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krysanthemum

Cavy Slave
I repeat...

krysanthemum said:
Yes, but I think our problem with that is that it is very dismissive of CavySpirit to announce that she's not interested in such a debate. Some of us are. And while it is true that this is CavySpirit's forum, I think that a certain amount of freedom of expression should be permitted.

A member was interested in other people's opinion of PETA. That includes both the positive and negative. We all know where CavySpirit stands on the topic of PETA, but the rest of us get to have opinions, and express them, as well.

CavySpirit, at no stage during the PETA thread did you participate in the conversation itself, you merely shut it down. It was not "bashing, baiting or trolling", as you so dismissively call it in your new Kitchen intro, it was a genuine discussion regarding our opinions on PETA. The fact that so many people had negative opinions about PETA should say something about the organisation's aims and methods.

Nor do I agree with your assertion that, for us to have a negative opinion, we necessarily have to supply a better alternative. It was not a conversation about alternatives, it was a conversation on our opinion regarding PETA. I don't know what the alternative is, but I do know that I don't like PETA's methods. I am entitled to that opinion, and I am entitled to express it.

Seriously, if the only way you can counter negative opinions of PETA is to shut the thread down, you need to take a serious look at why you are supporting such an organisation.

Krys - you are crossing a line. A thread was shut down and it was shut down for a reason. Dragging it back out again is the wrong thing to do.

I'm shutting this thread down. Any other threads reopening closed discussions will also be shut down and will result in a demotion. If CavySpirit wishes to reply to you she will. I think it would be more appropriate for you to PM or email her though.

The fact that so many people had negative opinions about PETA should say something about the organisation's aims and methods.

Your conclusion, not mine.

I shut the thread down because I wanted to. I've stated a new 'official' policy about what's acceptable here.

CavySpirit, at no stage during the PETA thread did you participate in the conversation itself, ...

Never said I did, Krys. In fact, I made a point of stating I was not participating in the conversation.

you merely shut it down.

Yes, I merely shut it down. I think that was quite obvious.

Nor do I agree with your assertion that, for us to have a negative opinion, we necessarily have to supply a better alternative.

I don't give a damn if you agree with me or not. In fact, I can pretty much be assured that on controversial issues you will be disagreeing with me.

Of course, you don't have to have an alternative to have a negative opinion, you just don't get to have a PETA-slamming session here. Find another forum.

It was not a conversation about alternatives, it was a conversation on our opinion regarding PETA.

Duh.

I don't know what the alternative is, but I do know that I don't like PETA's methods. I am entitled to that opinion, and I am entitled to express it.

Sorry darling, not here. Not like this.

Seriously, if the only way you can counter negative opinions of PETA is to shut the thread down, you need to take a serious look at why you are supporting such an organisation.

Once again, I don't care about your negative opinions. I know why I am supporting such an organization. It is not my focus of energy to be a PETA defense site. NOR will I allow this to be a PETA slamming site. Your opinions are shared by the majority of the population. You can find plenty of other venues to 'express yourself.' This isn't one of them.

And VJ, I was going to close the thread anyway, so thank you for restating the policy and doing so.

Krysanthemum, complaining that CavySpirit didn't enter into debate with you smacks awfully of picking a fight, which is generally considered trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.