Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Joy Pearls new baby :)

pearlsmom

Cavy Slave
image.jpgYay!! So far still soo good. Pearl has not nipped anymore.. She did a little chasing, but also quite a bit of popcorning and running which i figure is a good sign:) the baby is still eating and drinking and not to frightened so im leaving them together still! I made my husband watch for the past hour cause it stresses me out. But she chases the baby a little and then she ignores her and lays down and eats and then sniffs and follows baby. I will be soooo happy if i am able to leave them alone together for bed tonight:) thanks again everyone for the suggestions and advice :)

pinky

Cavy Slave
How sweet. I'll bet they'll be best friends in no time.

9GuineaPig9

Cavy Slave
If you want some advice on introductions, here's a good website (you'll have to scroll down a bit to get to introductions): https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Also, make sure you quarantine your new piggy and get her checked out by a vet!

Keep in mind that a young girl like the one you adopted may go through adolescence and decide she doesn't like her cage mate anymore. I've heard of that happening on a few occasions.

Good luck!

pinky

Cavy Slave
If you want some advice on introductions, here's a good website (you'll have to scroll down a bit to get to introductions): https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm

Also, make sure you quarantine your new piggy and get her checked out by a vet!

Keep in mind that a young girl like the one you adopted may go through adolescence and decide she doesn't like her cage mate anymore. I've heard of that happening on a few occasions.

Good luck!

You don't need to quarantine a new baby. They bond quicker if you introduce them when one is a pup, plus the baby does better when it's not kept alone. Adolescent males may go through a phase where they fight for dominance. I've never had that happen with females once they're bonded.

pearlsmom

Cavy Slave
All is still good in the world. Woke up this morning and they were sleeping next to each other. When would it be safe to put their houses back in? I did not put them in last night cause i was too worried. Thanks again!!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Do the houses have two exits? If so, it should be fine.

janinehunt

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
What cutiepies! Glad to hear they are getting along. :)

pearlsmom

Cavy Slave
Do the houses have two exits? If so, it should be fine.
One does and one does not! But i can make it so that it does! Thank you :)

pearlsmom

Cavy Slave
Okay so her name is 'ester' full name is 'ester poppy seed' sorry i am not a pokemon fan:) but thanks for all the suggestions.
it has been 2 days and Pearl is still chasing Ester off and on, especially at feeding time. She seems obsessed with making sure baby ester isnt getting anythinng that she isnt! But no fighting. Baby ester just runs everytime pearl comes her way so i dont even know what pearl would do if ester didnt run. Sometimes ester squeaks very loudly as well makig me run and check on them to be sure pearl isnt trying to kill her. But so far so good. Their cage is 7.5 feet long and 2 feet wide. Only a single level. Im going to add a second level so they have some more space. Would it be wrong to put a small house that only ester can fit in and that pearl can NOT fit in?? That way ester can have a safe space to relax sometimes??

pearlsmom

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I think i will do that today. :) and im exited to do a second level!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.