Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Our new "furniture style" cage

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
We finally got around to building our "dream" cage. Well, sort of, we're still adding odds and ends. But so far we're really happy with it. Our 2 piggies live upstairs (6'x2.5') and our 2 rabbits use the bottom 2 levels. The fleece is Velcro-ed to the cage all the way around. This keeps them from burrowing and getting to the wood. The pigs get floortime outside of their cage and the bunnies have free roam when we're home. Everyone seems really happy with the new arrangement.

Our new "furniture style" cageOur new "furniture style" cage

See the rest of it here: (broken link removed)

Varcoda

Cavy Slave
that looks like a lot of effort :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
It looks awesome! Do you have something protecting your wooden floor like plastic or linoleum?

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
The floors inside are actually caulked and sealed and we have linoleum inside that goes 2inches up the sides like you'd do with coroplast, so it's all contained.

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
Wow that is beautiful, great job!! It absolutely has a great aesthetic. I like the C&C cages because they are simple and effective but definitely a bit of an eye sore in the home. Good for you!

Nika Lee

Cavy Slave
Wow and your guinea pig that has a silver body and brown head is really pretty!! I've never seen that coloring before :)

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
The floors inside are actually caulked and sealed and we have linoleum inside that goes 2inches up the sides like you'd do with coroplast, so it's all contained.

Awesome! That's the way I did it with my wooden cage too. So worth it and so much easier than coro. Love you cage! Love, love, love it!

KaileighRussell

Cavy Slave
This is absolutely amazing! Great great great cage!

Little One

Cavy Slave
I just love this cage! ❤️

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Wow and your guinea pig that has a silver body and brown head is really pretty!! I've never seen that coloring before :)

He's actually a redhead , and has the spunkiness that comes with it.. ;)

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Thank you for all the nice comments, it took much longer to complete and a little more pricey than we had hoped, but we've had it for a month now and it has been fantastic, it's easy to clean and it takes up less space than 2 cages used to. Our friends and family mostly make fun of the "McMansion", and the fleece bedding, so I tried to explain that both the aesthetic and the bedding is for my benefit but mostly we only get snarky replies, so I figured I would share on here with some people who understand.. Ya know? :)

NJPKL

Cavy Slave
You should totally sell those! I'd buy one! Open an Etsy shop and only make them with a paid pre-order. :)

Nicolene

Cavy Slave
Well, I designed it, and my husband's retired uncle who has a wood working shop in his backyard made it for us from my plans and we just did the painting and flooring and such. I've convinced him to start looking at advertising on Craigslist around the Bay Area where we live, as both piggies and buns are plentiful here. He delivered it to us in pieces, so we could just screw it back together after painting, which is great because I can take it apart for bi-annual scrubbings. BUT, it did cost us $300 just in materials and 2 weeks of painting, sealing, doing floors and sewing the fleece, so I don't know what market price for something like this would run. We joke that he would build them, I would sew the custom fleeces and the aunt would do all the holiday decor (she's talking Christmas wreaths for the doors) :)

NJPKL

Cavy Slave
Well custom animal cages are definitely worth it if you have the money. Maybe if you guys work out a deal with a lumber yard you can buy in bulk to get the cost down. Also, you would have to pay yourselves an hourly rate. Maybe you can sell them for a discount not painted and let people choose to pay for a paint job or get it for a lower cost and paint themselves. Kinda like Gothic Cabinet Furniture, where they sell awesome wood pieces unfinished for less.

RoseNRiver0523

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Thats a really nice cage!

farmersdaughter

Cavy Slave
I think you could sell those on Craigslist and possibly small animal shows. In my area there is a guy that does custom habitats for reptiles and small animals. He advertises on craigslist and he had some of his prototypes at a reptile show. There were a lot of people at his table at the show so I did not get a chance to talk to him. I say find out when there is an animal show in your area and have pictures and designs ready for people to see what other styles can be made.

adelore

Cavy Slave
What a wonderful cage. I'll bet you enjoy it very much. Yes those of us on the Forum understand this wonderful cage very much. Nice job.

SheWolfSilver

Cavy Slave
Wow, that is awesome! Your animals are adorable!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.