Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to here and to piggies!

TexasWendy

Cavy Slave
We just acquired our first piggie on Thursday last week. We don't know how old he is, but he's definitely a baby/juvenile. He's our only for now until I can convince my husband to get a second. (We have three dogs, and have not let them in the same room with the piggie yet.)

Anyway, so little Nugget, as we're calling him, has of course been nervous and shy. He's already eating out of my fingers, though, and will exit his cage via the ramp and run into the playpen area when I'm on the ground. Cautiously, of course. He's made some happy noises while running around, and twice now has put his two front paws up on my leg to sniff and then tug my shorts. So cute :) He's also licked and gently nibbled my fingers and toes (kind of investigating, not hurting in the least). He seems to like it when I play recordings of other piggies purring and making happy noises. He perks up and seems to relax more.

With him being so new to me and also young, is it better to "force" lap time and pick him up? Or will that erode the trust we've built so far? I tried it once, and was able to get him to sit still for one minute on my lap before putting him back, but he was obviously scared. Will it help or hurt to keep trying to pick him up and put him on my lap for short periods? Thanks!

Amanda Marie

Cavy Slave
Holding them is a good idea. Remember that guinea pigs are prey animals. Most guinea pigs will be scared of being held no matter how much you hold them. But over time the constancy will make it easier and they will relax when you hold them. just have his favorite veggie when you hold him and feed him that. Its perfectly fine to hold him. I hold all my pigs at least 2 times a day. I have 5. They don't like to be caught but once you get them they love to sleep and eat veggies and investigate the surroundings.

TexasWendy

Cavy Slave
OK, thanks!

After I put him back, he went into his little hidey cave and kinda "angry purred" for about 15 seconds, letting me know he did not enjoy that experience. I felt so bad afterwards!

But I super love having him around so far. He's already popcorned a few times during floor play and veggie time, and it was so heartwarming to see him all happy.

So far, his favorite veggie is a tossup between cucumbers and red peppers. (I know cukes don't have much nutritional value, so I won't give him much).

Also, he's not drinking much water (I have a bottle and a bowl, and I've seen him go to both, but not much is being removed from either). Is that OK, if it seems he's getting a lot of water from veggies? He's super active and alert, so I'm trying not to worry.

TexasWendy

Cavy Slave
OMG, he had the most amazing popcorning session last night, complete with the zoomies and bubbling. He made laps around, combined with popcorning every few seconds, for about an hour. It was so cute to watch! He’s also letting us pet him in and out of his cage more without flinching or running away.

He has also started popcorning when I am in the middle of spot-cleaning his cage. He must like a fresh bed :)

TexasWendy

Cavy Slave
Back from the vet for his first trip there! Hardly worse for the wear after all that excitement and in great spirits. Think he's going to be a special guy. He just climbed into my lap (for a minute) of his own accord.:love:

Weighed 600 grams and estimated to be somewhere around 3.5 months. Got some mite treatment, but most of his scabs turned out to be because of bite wounds. Poor buddy was being beat up by his former cage mates :(

Last edited by a moderator:

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
So cute! You are doing a good job with him. Glad everything is ok.

GiuneaPigLover

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. You will be a great piggy parent. No worries you seem to be doing great.

TexasWendy

Cavy Slave
Aw, thanks.

i found his favorite petty spot (when he doesn't run away from my hand, ha). Kind of upper cheek almost between his eye and ear. If I pet there in a circular motion, he closes his eyes happily. It's very sweet.

TexasWendy

Cavy Slave
Omg he just climbed totally into my lap and halfway up my chest, and then parked it on my lap, all his idea. And then climbed into my husband's lap. I can't believe he's trusting us this much so soon!

And he now knows the sound of his vitamin c treats shaking in the bottle- he started wheeking and popcorning!

Lagertha

Cavy Slave
He's so cute!!!!!!!

Pigglet_pose

Cavy Slave
Completely adorable! Take lots of pictures as they grow up so fast!

TexasWendy

Cavy Slave
And another break-through today: while I was petting him on the floor, he let me pick him up without squirming, and then hold him on my arm against my chest. And then ate a carrot from my hands while there! He apparently likes to be against my chest better than a towel in my lap. Maybe he just needs more cuddles :)

he was so brave that I let him slowly climb down when he was ready, after about five minutes. Yay!

TexasWendy

Cavy Slave
Just an update: Nugget is doing great and thriving! Putting on weight, he's now drinking more water, and he loves his veggies. Parsley is apparently even more amazing than carrots :)

He's become super affectionate and will lick us half to death, and he climbs onto our laps every day. It's so funny- he'll climb onto us, lick, then popcorn himself off our laps in a sort of game. He seems to now enjoy petting if we approach slowly. He's also taken to just lying down right beside us and letting himself get sleepy.

anyway, he's totally stolen this dog person's heart! Still working on my husband to get him a buddy though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.