Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nice to be here! Hello everyone :)

veesaturn

Cavy Gazer
Hi my name is Via and my partner and I have been guinea piggie parents for a year now. We have 6 piggies now. Used to have 10. Some passed away and we were so saddened about it because they had food 24/7 (pellets, different kinds of hay, change of water everyday, give them green and brown hay 5x a day and more, etc) and they’re in an air-conditioned place and with cuddles everyday too. So we were really surprised that slowly, some became sick one-by-one even if 3 of them were big and fluffy. One gave birth to 4 piggies and we were surprised about it too.

We brought them to the vet and some just got worse. Like we don’t know what’s going on ~~help :(

We see them do zoomies and popcorn and everything. That’s why we got surprised suddenly some babies got sick one-by-one :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
We need more information. A lot more.

What kind of symptoms do they have?

What exactly is their diet like -- what veggies, supplements, etc.?

Why are you feeding them brown hay? And why don't they have hay all the time?

How old were the ones that died? Were they all babies? What color were they?

Do you have males and females together? Why were you surprised by the birth of the pups?

How large is their cage?

What is the temperature of the room they are in?

Guinea Pig Papa

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I agree. Much more info needed here.

viarhiz88

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I super appreciate your reply and these are my answers :)

-Their butts smelled differently and not as usual as it should be
-Their eyes seemed gloomy and also not as usual
-They just suddenly started not eating and drinking a lot even if they have their favorite food on their bowls

-Burgees Pellets, Meadow Munchies, Chipsi Sunshine Wiesenheu Hay and Chipsi Sunshine Timothy Brown Hay, Timothy Green Hay, Alfalfa pellets for the ones 1 year and below. Sometimes, we give them FullVit pellets. We also give them Pumpkin Treats from Excel.
We have also started giving Vitamin C syrup once every 2 days.

Pictures are attached

Why are you feeding them brown hay? And why don't they have it all the time?
-The Chipsi products are their brown hay then we bought another Timothy hay that's color green. They have 24/7 and we get the old hays everyday and give new ones.

-For those who died, we had 3 Americans- 1 11 months (Ron), 1 10 months (Hermione)and 1 3 weeks (Ron Jr., one of the newborns of those who died). Those who died were our first 2 piggies. Then we had 1 Abyssinian 11 months (Fred). They were all energetic and active in eating. Then just suddenly one day, they weren't eating as much anymore. After these things happened, we also started getting their weights every 2 days and record them.

Their pictures are attached too

-For the American piggies-The male is light brown and white, the female is black, brown and white and the baby was white with light and dark brown colours.
-For the Abyssinian, the colours were white and light brown

Do you have males and females together? Why were you surprised by the birth of the pups?
-Since we only had Ron and Hermione at the beginning, we let them stay with each other so they can be playmates. We never really thought of them having babies (maybe we were ignorant that time too). The one day, we're surprised that Hermione is like pear-shaped so we brought her to the vet and we found out she was pregnant with her first 2 babies. Those babies are still active and got big and heavy now.

When Hermione was pregnant with the first 2 babies (name- R and V), We let Ron be separated with them for a while. Then after 1.5 months, we said that oh maybe Ron misses Hermione and vice versa coz they're like the power couple, we let Ron stay with Hermione for a while without the kids. So, yeah from there the next 2 babies were made. Then one of those 2 babies (Ron Jr) was the most fragile one and the one who passed away.

How large is their cage?
-We've had lots of different kinds of cages. At first, we had a big circle one with nets on the side until our Abyssinian babies started munching them, then we changes to big plastic baskets where they can still go zoomies and popcorn. It's an open-top container so they can definitely breathe well.

-Everyday they are at a room temperature of 19-25 degrees Celsius day and night and they also have some indirect sunlight. We let them stay by the window (with the aircon on) so they may also feel the sun.

I will send more pics in the reply thread coz I can only attach 10 pics

Attachments

tempImageQanPYx.png tempImagecf6a4d.png tempImage1qh7BN.png IMG_3990 3.jpg tempImagekqngDs.png IMG_3994 3.JPEG IMG_4036 2.jpg IMG_4037 2.jpg IMG_4040.jpg tempImageQskDYQ.png

viarhiz88

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I super appreciate your reply and these are my answers :)

-Their butts smelled differently and not as usual as it should be
-Their eyes seemed gloomy and also not as usual
-They just suddenly started not eating and drinking a lot even if they have their favorite food on their bowls

-Burgees Pellets, Meadow Munchies, Chipsi Sunshine Wiesenheu Hay and Chipsi Sunshine Timothy Brown Hay, Timothy Green Hay, Alfalfa pellets for the ones 1 year and below. Sometimes, we give them FullVit pellets. We also give them Pumpkin Treats from Excel.
We have also started giving Vitamin C syrup once every 2 days.

Pictures are attached

Why are you feeding them brown hay? And why don't they have it all the time?
-The Chipsi products are their brown hay then we bought another Timothy hay that's color green. They have 24/7 and we get the old hays everyday and give new ones.

-For those who died, we had 3 Americans- 1 11 months (Ron), 1 10 months (Hermione)and 1 3 weeks (Ron Jr., one of the newborns of those who died). Those who died were our first 2 piggies. Then we had 1 Abyssinian 11 months (Fred). They were all energetic and active in eating. Then just suddenly one day, they weren't eating as much anymore. After these things happened, we also started getting their weights every 2 days and record them.

Their pictures are attached too

-For the American piggies-The male is light brown and white, the female is black, brown and white and the baby was white with light and dark brown colours.
-For the Abyssinian, the colours were white and light brown

-Since we only had Ron and Hermione at the beginning, we let them stay with each other so they can be playmates. We never really thought of them having babies (maybe we were ignorant that time too). The one day, we're surprised that Hermione is like pear-shaped so we brought her to the vet and we found out she was pregnant with her first 2 babies. Those babies are still active and got big and heavy now.

When Hermione was pregnant with the first 2 babies (name- R and V), We let Ron be separated with them for a while. Then after 1.5 months, we said that oh maybe Ron misses Hermione and vice versa coz they're like the power couple, we let Ron stay with Hermione for a while without the kids. So, yeah from there the next 2 babies were made. Then one of those 2 babies (Ron Jr) was the most fragile one and the one who passed away.

How large is their cage?
-We've had lots of different kinds of cages. At first, we had a big circle one with nets on the side until our Abyssinian babies started munching them, then we changes to big plastic baskets where they can still go zoomies and popcorn. It's an open-top container so they can definitely breathe well.

-Everyday they are at a room temperature of 19-25 degrees Celsius day and night and they also have some indirect sunlight. We let them stay by the window (with the aircon on) so they may also feel the sun.

I will send more pics in the reply thread coz I can only attach 10 pics
More pics here for your reference. Thanks so much for the concern. We appreciate it

Attachments

IMG_4038.jpg IMG_4047.jpg IMG_4046.jpg IMG_4045.jpg IMG_4043.jpg IMG_4042.jpg IMG_4039.jpg IMG_4048.jpg IMG_4049.jpg IMG_4055.jpg

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
Is vitamin syrup what you are adding to their water or syringe feeding them. If you are putting it in their water they would want to drink and my become dehydrated. If you are syringing vitamin C make sure your vet has told you to do so. If you suddenly drop all the vitamin C they are getting, it could lead to scurvy.

Edited by bpatters: It is not necessary to have a vet recommendation for giving vitamin C. We often recommend vitamin C for a number of issues. The most important things to know about it are: 1) Don't put it in the water. It degrades within minutes, and you've only got funny tasting water. 2) You don't really need C supplements for healthy pigs if they're getting pellets with stabilized C in them and veggies that are high in C (bell pepper is excellent for that). But when a pig is stressed or has been ill, supplementing them with 30-50 mg. of C per day for a week or so is acceptable. But never immediately stop C after giving a high dose because of the dangers of pseudo scurvy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
Pellets that contain alfalfa is what I would give for 6 months and below. It has way too much calcium for 1 years olds. Please make sure they are are limiting the pellets to all guinea pigs. The most you should ever give is a tablespoon a day and I think that is an excessive amount. I personally don’t even use them because mine get all the vitamins they need from vegetable.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
If you think they need to be syringe feed make sure you are getting 60 ml into them a day. 1-2 ml per push. Critical care is fine.

Edited by bpatters: The recommendation for handfeeding is 100 cc per day for every 1000 grams a pig weighs, broken into 6-8 feedings around the clock. 60 grams is the right amount for a 600 gram pig, but would drastically overfeed a smaller pig, or underfeed a larger pig.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
You need to have slowly give them 1/4 to a full cup of romaine lettuce, bell peppers, cilantro, and a little celery vey day. Don’t all at one give them so many veggies because this could cause stomach upsets and poop is 1-2 days behind from when they eat. Soft poop is from extra water. Please don’t syringe fed water nor take it way.

Edited by bpatters: Soft poop can have many causes, but extra water is not one of them. Syringe feeding water is just fine if they need extra water, and if you're careful for them not to aspirate it into their lungs. In fact, syringe feeding water is recommended if you're handfeeding them Critical Care or another recovery food.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
If everyone is sick they need to be weighed! Daily for sickly and weekly for the healthy. 50 grams of gain or loss is a concern.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
Never, never, never, let the males in with the females. They can even mate through bars. Males need to live in pairs in one room, and the group of females in another. It is selfish to let guinea pigs mate and to put a female through pregnancy when there are so many guinea pigs still in shelters. While males may seem to have no interest in mating, they absolutely do. They will come into time every two weeks about the same thing for females! There is no way for you to absolutely tell when they will.

Edited by bpatters: Males do NOT "come into time" at all. They're ready, willing and able any time there's a female in heat around, and they can impregnate a female at about 3 1/2 weeks of age. Females come into season about every 14-16 days, and usually do not bleed. Occasionally you'll run across a female that spots a bit when she's cycling, but that's rare.

Also, the male has a penis bone, called a baculum, that allows them to complete the sex act within about 30 seconds. If you've got them together, you can sneeze and miss the whole thing. And females can come into heat within minutes of giving birth. If the male was with the female when the pups were born, you've likely got another pregnant guinea pig. If so, she'll require very good food and hay and supplemental vitamin C -- back to back pregnancies are extremely hard on the sow and the second litter of pups.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
For the cages, a pair needs 10.5 square feet. Those circle thing you are using are play pens, and not cages. You need to get and actually cage that they can not chew through and something that the pee won’t leak through. Please look up Cagetopia and Midwest guinea pig cages.

They should not be living in a plastic basket, even with an open top it is still it closed in. The cage should be made of metal grids that air can flow through freely.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
Is the bedding care fresh? That’s fine, you need to add more to the cage since it seems in some of the pictures it seems you only have half an inch some places. I prefer to use cage liner that I clean DAILY. Bedding also should be clean daily, remove the more used areas of bedding.

I also know that people clean bedding weekly, you may need to do clean more than that.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
The temp seems fine to me, just make sure they have lots of hides (one per pig) with multiple openings.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
When guinea pigs give birth they should be nursing. The baby’s can eat solid food almost right after they have been born. Please do not have you males with females again because breeding requires a lot of expertise and knowledge of how genetics work to properly produce a healthy guinea pig. I don’t know what you were planing to do with the guinea pigs, but you can get a perfect healthy guinea pig from a shelter.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
Your piggies don’t need any pumpkin. Dried fruit it not necessarily healthy and real pumpkin is better.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
Did the vet recommend a nebulizer? Wheezing can have a lot if different meanings. False diagnosis is fatal.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
Mashed sure you are holding all of the guinea pigs correctly. It worries me the way you were holding R and one of the babies.

Cavy

Cavy Gazer
Could we see a picture of all the cages currently?

What does their veggies and fruit look like?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
@viarhiz88, I'm sorry to be so long responding -- I've been out of town and mostly out of internet range.

I've make some comments on the posts already on this thread. Please go back and re-read them.

I still don't have any info on how or why your pigs died. What symptoms did they have? Any seizures? Diarrhea? Was there any possibility that spiders or wasps got to them? Did they die suddenly, or over a period of days. Did you take them to the vet? If so, what did the vet say?

Other miscellaneous comments... I wouldn't give them vitamin C syrup. Pigs are not engineered to process sugar well at all, and in itself, can cause diarrhea and other digestive upsets. You need to find a plain vitamin C tablet, and aim at giving each pig roughly 30-40 mg. per day if they're not getting sufficient C in their diets. You can crush the tablets and syringe it to them in a bit of water, or Oxbow makes a vitamin C wafer.

The same prohibition about sugar applies to dried fruit treats. Anything that's naturally sweet and has been dried has lots of sugar in it. If you want to give them treats, give them a sprig of herbs, or a blueberry or two, or a small bit of apple.

How are the pigs doing now?