Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to guinea pigs and the forum

PiggyG

Cavy Slave
My fiancé and I happened across the cutest tiny guinea pig that looked exactly like my cat. We couldn't resist, so we went back the next day and made her a part of our family. She's just a wee baby, not sure how old - they thought 2 months, but she looks a bit younger than that to me by size comparison, unless she's a runt. She's grown quite a bit in the past couple weeks that we've had her.

Meet my piggy g Ellie, and her twin cat Alexis.

Being new to guinea pigs, I was not aware that they are better off in pairs or herds. We are going to get her a buddy this weekend, and I'm really nervous about the introduction. I've read a lot on here about it, so I at least feel somewhat prepared. We tried last weekend, but I didn't do my research. I felt horrible having to return a pig :(

Attachments

Ellie.jpg AlexisEllie.jpg

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! You might want to have a closed top if you have a cat. Your new adorable piggie might also like a companion.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
What a cute little piggie, and I'm sure she will love having a friend. I love the orange and black pattern on your cat's back-it looks like a picture of a cat on a white background.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

PiggyG

Cavy Slave
What a cute little piggie, and I'm sure she will love having a friend. I love the orange and black pattern on your cat's back-it looks like a picture of a cat on a white background.
That's so interesting, I had never looked at her pattern like that, love it! Now that's all I'm going to see.

https://guinea-pigs.livejournal.com/3002707.html

Also, check around you for reputable guinea pig rescues. They'll help you find a pig that will get along with the one you have, and you'll be rescuing a homeless pig.
I've read that post on the introductions, it's super helpful! How do they help find a pig that gets along with my current one, I've read that elsewhere and wondered. Our shelter in town carries guinea pigs, but they are very limited. I should go check them out. Is it advisable to get one around the same size as her?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
A shelter that rescues several different types of animals may not have any particular expertise with guinea pigs. You'd need a good guinea pig rescue for that. If you'll post where you are (city/state, not your address), we may be able to help you find one. They'll also check to make sure that your pig is a female -- missexed guinea pigs are everywhere, especially those that come from pet stores.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
I love your new little one's stand-uppy ears!

piggy.mamma

Cavy Slave
Welcome! You havegorgeous fur-babies. Introductions can be scary, but from my experience so far,having a tea towel or small blanket in had is a life saver... something thatyou can throw on top of them if they get in a spat. Introductions have workedout for me so farm, but they take time. Be sure to keep the new piggy separatefor the first few days to be sure he/she has not brought any illness withhim/her.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
For Introductions, (Im more used to males, but I believe its the same for females) I covered the bathroom with towels, blocking off behind the toilet or anywhere I didnt want them to get into. Toss towels down, some food in multiple places so they will hopefully take more interest in the food And not fighting. I wouldn't suggest putting houses or anything down because they can "claim" it theirs and then its a war over it. Also because they can get trapped or have "locked ball of fur" fight. (Spinning round and round at each other, literally looks like a spinning fluff with lots of noise. )

Make sure to keep like a dust pan or something to separate them with. Never your bare hands. I learned that the hard way lol.

Hope this helps and i am so jealous of your Calico cat..

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum!

EcthalionMCB

Cavy Slave
welcome to the forum. I find that a playpen in the living room, away from the cage (freshly thoroughly cleaned cage) is the best way for introductions. is how I introduced my two boys (one is a 3 year old and the other is no more then 8-10 weeks) to each other tonight. the older boy postured a bit and humped the little guy a bit, before settling down for a grooming. just be ready to intervene with a towel at hand just in case there is actual fighting. humping isn't too big a deal in my experience . . . and they will chitter they're teeth at first most likely.

PiggyG

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the welcome and the tips everyone! :)

We ended up getting another one this weekend, her name is Paige. When we brought her home, she wouldn't go into her cozy sack, she'd go to the back of it and lay between the fleece pad and the sack. She'd start to burrow, as I don't have a proper cover yet, just a pad. We were thinking she's super smart. As time went on, she would climb underneath her sack, and she couldn't connect to her water bottle -she kept missing. She left and came back to try to find it again, but was sniffing and climbing a blank wall. We think she is blind, poor thing. She is extra calm, doesn't really react to much, but is not deaf. The lady I got her from told me that she would've thought something was wrong with her, had she not been eating and playing with the other pigs. She has a HUGE appetite, and will spend a half hour at the food dish. She's slow to eating, and has a hard time recognizing vegetables. This is going to be a challenge, but she is super sweet and cuddly, and we love her so much already. We got her on Saturday, but are thinking to introduce them earlier than planned. She's getting more anti-social the more she is alone. But when we take out her tube (only house that works for her since it has 2 openings), she's an eating and pooping machine.

Any advice for a blind/very poor eye sighted pig?

Ellie is really excited to meet her. She was going crazy when we put the cages next to each other last night when she heard Paige squeak and eat.

Attachments

paige.jpg
Last edited:

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Well look how cute Paige is! If you've already got the cages next to each other you've already broken quarantine for anything airborne. Since she's special needs and sounds like she does better with other piggies I would go ahead and introduce them.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Hi, @PiggyG! Alexis, Paige, and Ellie are both gorgeous... I love Ellie's ears! I have a pig named Cinnamon with ears like that!

PiggyG

Cavy Slave
Paige learned veggies from Ellie yesterday, after she went crazy over her greens like she always does. Paige knew something was up, and came right out to get it. Sometimes I think she can see, other times she acts completely blind - I can't really figure it out. She gets confused when her tube is out, she stays in it almost constantly until you turn the lights out. Once you put it back and she goes back in it, she always touches her food dish. We think she's making sure she knows where she's at. She's a mystery to me still, but she has obvious sight problems from her behavior. A vet visit seems wasted money just to figure out if she's truly blind. Her eyes do reflect red when a light shines on it.

koalamissy

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum. Your three fur balls are absolutely gorgeous!!!! I think it's hysterical how Alexis does look like she has a cat on her back. Too funny!!! It sounds like Ellie and Paige are going to be best buds, which is awesome. There are tons of very educated and knowledgeable people here and the boards are full of tons of information.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
I had a guinea I thought was blind, I lighty waved my hand in front of his face to see if he'd react, as well with objects.

PiggyG

Cavy Slave
I had a guinea I thought was blind, I lighty waved my hand in front of his face to see if he'd react, as well with objects.

We've done that, she doesn't respond at all, unless she smells us. We can even get our finger to almost touch her eyeball and she doesn't flinch. So we are assuming.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
wells none the less. She's gorgeous :D

PiggyG

Cavy Slave
Thank you! We <3 her.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.