Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding New Piggy?

guinea92

Cavy Slave
So, I have one piggy right now. I can't decide whether to get another pig or not. Here are some things I'm considering,

1. They might not like each other

2. More clean-up, I use care-fresh instead of fleeces because I find it easier, if I have two I'll have to clean the cage more (plus smell!)

But... Macy (my piggy) might really like having a buddy and so will I!

I need advice!! :confused:

Is Macy a boy or girl? How old? Usually piggies do better with older and younger. I put my year old with a 8 week old baby and they are great friends. Things can always go wrong but if you go to a rescue maybe they can meet first.

Good Luck!!

Macy is a girl. She is approximately 3 years old.

I think you should get a friend for Macy, Guinea Pigs are social animals so they are better in pairs. I would gradually put them together, like when you do play time. That's a good time to introduce them it may take some time for them to get use to each other. Good luck with your decision!

Try a baby then. It would be a better chance of working.

The work doesn't multiply when you have several, it does increase a bit, but it is still one cage, one salad to make, one water bottle, one food dish, etc. The smell also does not multiply. Thank goodness or my 11 would stink.

Everyone who's ever introduced two pigs has that question, "Will they like each other?". There's always a chance they won't get along but most of the time, after the initial trials for dominance, things get settled. That shouldn't be a reason not to get one though.

Read The Fleece Project here on the site. Cleaning up after pigs on fleece is very easy even with multiple pigs.

Age doesn't matter. You can have guinea pigs of any age together and have different results. I think it has more to do with matching personalities so that you don't have two alpha pigs that want to be top dog and, secondly, that you have a large enough cage that they can get away from one another when they want to. I'd see if your rescue will allow you to bring her along to see how she does with some of the other females.

Thank you so much for the advice! Maybe I will get another piggy! I'll read the fleece project thing. I have fleece, and tried it but I wasn't super prepared. Thanks again!lol:love:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.