Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior New pig nipping

HazyJill

Cavy Gazer
I have had my piggy, Maui, for 5 days now. He is about 2 years old. He is a bit skittish but will let me pet him. I let him smell my hand but will sniff and then give a little nip. He also will walk up to me during floor time to sniff and nip. Is this a normal behavior? It never hurts (so far)! He takes food from my hand but runs and hides when I enter the room his cage is in. He also has growled at me once while I was carrying him back to his cage. Should I be worried about the nipping? He has yet to popcorn which makes me a little sad he isn?t happy yet. Thanks all!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It's perfectly normal behavior, but don't let him nip your hand. It's MUCH easier to prevent a bad habit from starting than it is to break it once it's established.

But please keep all your posts about this pig on your original thread. If something serious develops, it's much easier for the people trying to help you to find all the info on the pig in once place than if it's scattered all over the forum.

HazyJill

Cavy Gazer
It's perfectly normal behavior, but don't let him nip your hand. It's MUCH easier to prevent a bad habit from starting than it is to break it once it's established.

But please keep all your posts about this pig on your original thread. If something serious develops, it's much easier for the people trying to help you to find all the info on the pig in once place than if it's scattered all over the forum.

Thanks for responding! I would have and I tried to edit my original post to break it up so people will read it like you had suggested but couldn?t figure out how to edit it. I thought maybe i would get more help if I made a shorter post. Anyways, my guinea has now started to make the angry purring noise at me when in his cage. I got him to calm down by talking softly and offering hay by hand. When you say don?t let him nip does that mean I shouldn?t let him smell my hand then? Because he nips almost every time.

ChubbyMonroe

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could get him neutered as it may calm him down. You can try to train him with something every time he goes to nibble your finger so he doesn't try after you have taught him not to do it.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
Anyways, my guinea has now started to make the angry purring noise at me when in his cage.

We normally associate the "rumbling" noise with irritation or displeasure. However, I have a boy who is the ultimate "mellow fellow" and whose favorite vocalization is a "rumble". So much so that we affectionately call him "Mr. Rumbles". The noise means different things depending on the situation at the time. As you become more familiar with your cavy you will learn what his language means as well.

It is possible to break the biting habit, but it often takes a while. The behavior should lessen as he learns your touch and your smell. My other boy has been a biter since he was a baby. He's very high strung, skittish, and high energy. He finally learned the difference between a bite and a nibble, and now has transitioned to licking. Keep in mind that a cavy has no dexterity with his front paws unlike a cat. Everything is explored through the mouth and sometimes he will make a mistake. Chip will still bite if he is frightened or if I cause him pain during nail trimming. I've learned to wear gloves at grooming time.

I rarely raise my voice at my boys so when I do, they know I'm displeased at their actions. I would lightly tap the nose and sternly say "NO" in the beginning, but now only have to use my voice to get them to stop whatever they may be doing.

It often takes a lot of patience to raise piggy children just like human children, but the rewards are worth it.

HazyJill

Cavy Gazer
I sure hope he comes around. I?ve been working with him everyday, multiple times a day. Sometimes I just go in and sit and talk to him. I do floor time twice a day. I have read to always have a place they can hide but I find if I do that he will only come out to grab food and run back in. If I take his hut out he will run up to the front of the cage and poke his nose through, eat his food, let me pet him. I don?t know if it?s bad to take it away sometimes? I feel he makes more progress without it. I always give it back to him.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.