Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance New part of dominance dance: digging/stomping?

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
Per usual, the boys are bickering. However, I noticed Ham has added a new move to his repertoire (see video). It looks kind of like when a cat is kicking dirt/litter backwards trying to cover up it's feces. However, he is doing it to fleece items. The goal does not seem to be burrowing underneath. He mostly ends up just bunching and scooting the fleece around. Is this normal? Anyone know what it means?

[video=youtube_share;KyPeorKozLE]

Bodhi

Cavy Slave
He just wants to be a bull.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Typical dominance behavior. Looks like neither wants to give up the throne.

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
Looks like neither wants to give up the throne.
Never! As a result, this is a daily occurrence. Somehow the fact that they are both initiating it makes me feel better about the whole situation. However, that digging/stomping thing is new.

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
Let me also note that while they can be vicious beasts during playtime, this is the flipside:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
These boys are cuddle champions when they want to be (and luckily they want to be more days than not).

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Lol, that was cute and I love the long fluffy bum on the one guy!! Cute little naughty boys!

ginipigsinspace

Cavy Slave
Bumping this because I really would like feedback on whether the digging/stomping is normal, or if it's symptomatic of something negative like boredom or, worse, something neurological. In all the rumblestrutting videos I could find on the internet, I did not se any other pig do that. Of course, I also haven't seen many pigs do his "back-it-up" kickflip, nor have I seen other pigs' rumblestrut match Chewie's overly-exaggerated and and surprisingly graceful version. Perhaps my boys are just particularly dramatic? Or maybe videos just don't capture the broad spectrum of diverse dominance behaviors?

Also, @daisy1cow Chewie does have the fluffiest of bums.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
It looks totally normal to me.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
When I was trying to bond all of my piggies together Pepper did stuff like this... It is nice to know I am not the only one! lol

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Ferb does a slow graceful rumblestrut (I really must try and video it). He also starts chasing Penny and then stops to try and dig through the chloroplast and carefresh goes flying everywhere. So I'd say the ground pawing is normal.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.