Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New member, just got first pig a month or so ago

• Thread starter PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy
  • Start date

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
i sure hope my boy loves it too!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Don't worry, he definitely will!

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Mine is the reverse. My 2x5 bottom is Hunt Club bedding amd my 1X2 loft is fleece. My pigs sleep under two hammocks like tents in the loft and love it.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
that sounds so cute! and harry's on my desk right now (in an old shoebox) and he's just chillin', it's too cute, and he fell asleep on my lap about an hour ago, but then my little brother came chargeing into the room and woke him up. But while he was asleep it was just too cute.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
jdomans said:
In the yellow pages of your phone book, you will find the heading for sign shops. Call around, be sure to let them know you are making a guinea pig cage. Some might think you want to make your own sign and take business away from them.

I just went to the homepage and found this listing for you:
Regal Plastics
1700 Wirt Road
Houston
Texas
713-957-8541

I am sure there are tons of shops in Houston. It is a huge city.

i wanted to say thank you, this is where we got the coroplast i don't think i would've know where to get it without your help, and my pictures should be up some time tomorrow, THANK YOU EVERYONE, YOU HAVE BEEN SOO HELPFUL!!! i really apprecitate everything, i wouldn't really know what to do if it weren't for all of the help you all have offered!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
I am so glad it is lining up for you. Can't wait to see the cage.

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Aw! Congratulations on your new cage! Don't be worried if he's a little afraid when you first put him in... all that room can be daunting sometimes when you've been living in a smaller are!

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
yea, i was wondering about that, we put him in it last night and he just sat there, then he saw his hidey house and ran inside it, he didn't come out all night, it worried me a little bit.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Your posting started off pretty good in your first post, but has since gone horridly downhill. Please start using proper capitalization. It's not hard to start your sentences with a capital letter or to capitalize your "I's". It's laziness that prevents people from doing so.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
He's just getting used to everything. It will take a little while.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
Ly&Pigs said:
Your posting started off pretty good in your first post, but has since gone horridly downhill. Please start using proper capitalization. It's not hard to start your sentences with a capital letter or to capitalize your "I's". It's laziness that prevents people from doing so.

Sorry. :ashamed:

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
Today we went to the HSPCA and adopted a new pig, his name (the one we gave him) is Lord Voldemort. We've had him home for a few hours and he and Harry have been chasing each other around their care since they were put in it, I had to take away one of the hidy houses because Voldemort (who is two times Harry's size) kept trying to push Harry out. More on Lord Voldemort: He's a tri-color, brown, black, and white. His front paws are black and the back ones are white. He's short haired and is much more active than Harry. On the internet it said he was supossed to be younger than Harry, but it is very obvious that he is much older. I am wondering if he will ever stop picking on Harry, or if I might have to separate them. Also, we are adding a larger second story on the cage, maybe I'll just make it without a pathway up, and put Harry on top and Voldemort on bottom (but most likely I won't). So, that's my update for everyone.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
OK first of all, you forgot to quarentine, but it's too late for that now. Keep an eye out for any new illnesses that your new pig may have brought home. Secondly, you need to introduce them on neutral ground, not in the cage. The cage is already Harry's territory with his scent, so he is going to pick on Voldermort. Take them both out the cage, put them in floor time together, and scrub everything in the cage to get rid of the scent. Replace the bedding, too. After they are fine during floor time, put them back in the cage. Don't seperate them unless there's bloodshed.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
It's not Harry picking on Voldemort, it's Voldemort picking on Harry, I replaced the bedding and cleaned out the cage this morning, my mom thought that when we picked up our little friend today that he wouldn't want to be in a cage that Harry had already claimed. As for quarintine, before the animals cas leave the SPCA they have to have a full check up, and have to be approved to be around other animals, so I didn't think that I really needed to quarintine Volddy, and I'm going to make a vet visit this week, just for check-ups, and so Volddy can meet his vet.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
It's a good idea to quarantine no matter what. It's a lot easier to deal with one sick pig than two. Plus it gives the new pig a chance to settle down and get used to it's new surroundings before being thrown in with new pigs.

How did you introduce them? Did you just plop Voldy (I love the names by the way) into Harry's cage? If so this could be the source of the fighting. Also how big is your cage? Boars need lots of space so a 2x4 is best, a 2x5 is better. The more space you can give them the better. The should also have two of everything at least. It may help to even have three. So that would be at least two hidey houses, two water bottles, and two pellet dishes. That way if one pig claims one the other pig can just use the other.

I'm going through introduction issues with my three girls as well. Members have told me to let it go and that it may take weeks or months for them to work it out. Don't seperate them unless blood is drawn. Nipping, chasing, mounting, hair pulling, teeth chattering, rumblestrutting and squealing are all normal behaviors. They need to do this to decide who's on top.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
Introductions were done at the SPCA before we adopted Volddy (thanks for the complemint on the names, when my friend heard their names she went "Now you just need Ron and Dumbledore") My cage is a 2 by 4 and I'll hopefully finish the second level tonight, then it will be a 2 by 4 with a 2 by 2 second level. The only thing with them being in the same cage that's bothering me is Volddy ia picking on Harry, because Harry is smaller than Volddy, it kinda pevs me, because Harry was here before Volddy.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
What do you mean by "picking"? You don't want to seperate them unless they are fighting and someone is getting hurt or there is blood loss. Rumbling, chasing, nipping, mounting, wheeking, nosing, and tugging hair are all normal parts of establishing dominance.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

I do have the same question as Percy's Mom, what kind of "picking" is Voldy doing (what do you mean)?

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
I am not going to give you any advice, as I am new to the world of piggies, but where are the pigtures? I would love to see your boys, Harry and Voldy, aswell as your cage.

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
It's not Harry picking on Voldemort, it's Voldemort picking on Harry

Well, of course - Harry would never pick on Voldemort... (book reference)

Good luck with your guys!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.