Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Skin Problems New Guinea from PetSmart - Crusty Ear?

Lauren E. May

Cavy Gazer
Hey there. My name is Lauren and I just got my very first guinea pig this past weekend. Yesterday I noticed there was a little bit of crust only on the outside edge of her ear. Today there seems to be a little more. I've attached a picture of her ear today. Does anyone know what this is? Do I need to take her back to PetSmart? I've already gotten attached!

image2.jpgimage1.jpg

Nannub

Cavy Slave
Why would you return a guinea pig? They're not things :/ take her to a vet, for a check up. An exotic vet, preferably not the PetSmart one. They'll either offer you a 'refund' or a new pig. Check the vet clinics close to your area.

Last edited:

Lauren E. May

Cavy Gazer
When I called PetSmart they said their vet could take her in (because I've had her less than 15 days) and look at her but their policy is to return the pet (as in they'd have to give me my money back) and they will then "decide" if they are going to sell it back to the customer after review. I was just afraid if I take her to the vet at PetSmart they won't give her back

Nannub

Cavy Slave
When I called PetSmart they said their vet could take her in (because I've had her less than 15 days) and look at her but their policy is to return the pet (as in they'd have to give me my money back) and they will then "decide" if they are going to sell it back to the customer after review. I was just afraid if I take her to the vet at PetSmart they won't give her back

Take her to a vet. On your own. Petsmart will treat your pig like she's some stuff they can buy and re-sell.

Lauren E. May

Cavy Gazer
e2ab6180-bcb9-4867-8a8a-45ea2e6ee523.png

She is so precious. I love snuggling her. Does that look like fungus or mites or ringworm or something on the picture above?

Lauren E. May

Cavy Gazer
Take her to a vet. On your own. Petsmart will treat your pig like she's some stuff they can buy and re-sell.

Do you know how much a check up usually costs at a vet?

daydreamer89

Cavy Slave
please dont take her back to a petsmart vet, take her to a exotic vet to get checked out. (small pet vets are not trained for guinea pigs only exotic vets are)
not sure what the crusty ear thing is but its best to take her for a check up anyways

Nannub

Cavy Slave
View attachment 77354 She is so precious. I love snuggling her. Does that look like fungus or mites or ringworm or something on the picture above?

look at that cutie! Sadly I don't know much about gp yet. But I'm sure some other members can help you. Try to also find a cavy savy and take her for a check up. Pet stores don't really take much care of their animals.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I'm taking my pig in an hour. $48 for a check up

Lauren E. May

Cavy Gazer
look at that cutie! Sadly I don't know much about gp yet. But I'm sure some other members can help you. Try to also find a cavy savy and take her for a check up. Pet stores don't really take much care of their animals.

Yeah, I know!! I had bought one from Petco (the last little girl they had) and one from Petsmart. The one I purchased from Petco had some crust around her eye and the 16 year old kid said that it was normal. THE NEXT DAY her eye was completely sealed shut. I took her straight back to Petco and they said her eyeball was scratched and she had an infection. They've had her for eight days now and they are CLAIMING I will get her back but every time I call they seem sketchy. :( I'm going there in person after work tomorrow. Here is the little girl I bought that is back at Petco for now.

9bc7a6c0-c7fb-44e7-9b75-06b312068ef0.pnge358aa9a-6d15-46e7-86f5-09609e294e81.png

I haven't named either girl!! I have my fingers crossed that they'll give her back.

scoottie

Cavy Slave
I highly doubt they will give her back if they cant fix the problem they will either send them back sender or put them down

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Looks like it could be fungus to me. Luckily you can treat it at home. Go to the drug store and purchase nystatin or lotrimin anti-fungal cream. Apply sparingly twice a day to the infected area, use a q-tip a to rub it in well so she doesn't ingest it. Be careful with handling the area though as fungus is transferable to humans and other animals. I would start with that treatment and see if it improves, you would want to apply for several days after it looks healed as fungus can be persistent.

If you feel more comfortable taking her the vet please find your own exotic vet to have her seen. Don't "return" her to Petsmart for treatment. Yes it will cost you money out of pocket but you made the commitment to veterinary expenses when you purchased her.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
And that's why no one should buy pets from the petstore. I made the mistake too. But I found a vet, didn't take her to PetSmart.

lydiagintn23

Cavy Slave
Hi, I live in Hendersonville. The ONLY vet who specializes in guinea pigs (and other "exotics") is Avian and Exotics Center of Nashville. Their address is 3806 Old Hickory Blvd in Old Hickory. Their phone number is 615-360-0944. Their website is www.avianandexotics.com. Even if you don't go to them for this, you probably should file this info for the future.... just in case. I have 8 piggies.... my grandson and I adopted 4 females from a rescue, knowing one of them had come in with a male and could be pregnant. She was and now we have 4 females and 2 males Good luck with your baby. She's adorable. OH- just an FYI... it's ALWAYS better to have 2 piggies together. They are herd animals and need companionship of their own species. Let me know if you would like the number of the rescue. She charges a $25 re-homing fee to cover her costs. Just wait til your baby is all better!

Soecara

Cavy Slave
I agree it looks like a fungal infection, which can be treated at home. Here is a link that you can read for more information https://www.guinealynx.info/fungus.html

Make sure to wash your hands after handling her, fungal infections are contagious to humans but if you have a normal immune system and you maintain proper hygiene your risk of catching it is quite low.

lisanjake

Cavy Slave
This reminds me of when I got my guinea pigs and had a scare one was a male (the other was a female) someone at work said and I quote 'cant you just take it back and get another female?' I was mortified! lol

CavyChrissy

Cavy Slave
Ok, I feel the need to be the practical one here... I think you should return the pig and adopt from a rescue instead. Let me explain:

If the guinea pig you bought is showing signs of poor health and the one you already returned was also in poor health, it is probably an indicator that they will continue to have poor health. And I agree with everyone, the store vet is not going to help. So maybe it is best that you leave those girls at the store. If you keep them/buy them back, you may be setting yourself up for a lifetime of dealing with and paying for sick pigs. I hope that doesn't sound mean because I know how quickly we can get attached to them. But you have to be practical too.

(I'm sure everyone will now jump on me for suggesting you "return" it. But the pig is no worse off, some other unknowing person will buy that pig.)

If you can contact a rescue in your area, they will be very willing to help you find a pair of healthy pigs that is best for YOU. Unlike the pet stores who are just interested in your money. A rescue provides better care and vet care, so you'll get healthy pigs. And a rescue is much more knowledgeable about the personality of each pig, so you can get a friendly sociable pair. (your experience with the employee who told you crusty ears are normal should be a sign of how little the employees know about pigs in general, much less each specific pig).

Best of luck!

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
Regarding the policy of pet returns for PetSmart.

If you recently bought your guinea pig in their 14/15 return policy. Legally (for liabilities) , they can not treat a guinea pig that is owned by a customer so PetSmart requires you to return/cash refund so they can take that guinea pig to the vet. However by returning to the Guinea Pig, the policy is that the Live Pets Department manager have to quarantine her to observe (24-48) if anything is wrong then draw up paperwork to go see the vet to get treatment.

The only reason I know this because I was in the similar situation before I knew about guinea pig rescues/adoptions. If you do choose to return her/him make your intentions known that you want her back (exactly what I did). Also if they give you the excuse about "needing to observe her before treatment" be adamant that you know guinea pig illnesses and demand she/he sees a vet (exactly what I did and they took her to the vet that day). They will give you a reference # or request for one so you can call every day for updates (be annoying) which is what I did. After the 14 days of treatment, I was able to bring home my Skittles. I was lucky that the PetSmart I got Skittles from takes their sick Guinea Pigs to my current Exotic Vet (which is known to be the grandfather of exotic vet). However, not all PetSmart/PetCos take their guinea pigs to experience exotic vets.

Nannub

Cavy Slave
I went to PetSmart yesterday because a pig I got there turns out to be very pregnant. Maybe a vet could see her? 'Oh no we don't have guinea pig vets here but here's a number u can contact for vets' . To clarify I didn't go there to return here. Just to complain that they sold me a pregnant pig. -i know buying from petstores is bad but what's done is done- what was their response? Since its past the 14 days guarantee there's nothing they can do and they don't take complaints.

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I went to PetSmart yesterday because a pig I got there turns out to be very pregnant. Maybe a vet could see her? 'Oh no we don't have guinea pig vets here but here's a number u can contact for vets' . To clarify I didn't go there to return here. Just to complain that they sold me a pregnant pig. -i know buying from petstores is bad but what's done is done- what was their response? Since its past the 14 days guarantee there's nothing they can do and they don't take complaints.

They actually do take complaints, but you want to complain to corporate office instead of your local store. Each store operates on service scores, by complaining to the corporate someone there will reach out to the GM of your local store.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.