Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Moving from NYC to LA

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
Hi! I may be moving from NYC to the LA area in a few months and I have 2 piggies. I'm pretty worried about it and could use some advice from anyone who's done a significant move with their pigs! I feel like flying will be too stressful so I'm considering driving. It would be about 3 days in transit (41 hours of actual driving). I figure I'd keep them in their cage (a smaller version of it) in the car and keep the temperature steady. Do you think they'd be alright? They are 4-5 years old, and one is a stone piggy. Otherwise good health. Any advice appreciated!!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They'll be ok driving. And I believe Frontier Airlines will let you take them as cabin pets if you decide to fly. I have no idea where they fly to.

spy9doc

Cavy Slave
I flew for an airline for many years and still occasionally travel for business. I would be reluctant to have my cavies fly as cargo unless it is Spring or Fall. The extremes of temperature are just too drastic during the Summer or Winter. They might have to sit on a baggage cart out in the elements while the baggage handlers fill their particular trolley before heading for the terminal.

The only airline that permits cavies in the cabin (to my knowledge) is indeed Frontier. You may have to be a bit creative insofar as setting up a route on Frontier from JFK to LAX. I don't know if FedEx accepts live animals, but you might check that out.

@Kelsie seems to have a handle on the situation. I have only transported my piggies for a three hour trip which is a bit different. They don't seem as sensitive to change as one would think......in fact, my boys seem to like car rides so long as they have each other........and me. If I'm driving them alone, they are strapped into the front passenger seat where I can reach in occasionally and give them a pat. If it is only Sparky, he lies on a towel between my legs as I drive and enjoys lap time.

VBaamonde

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys! I'm thinking maybe renting a one way RV since I have to move my whole life anyway so maybe their ride won't be too bumpy. I would never ever let them go in cargo I'd be a mess, I hardly let my friends pick them up!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I hope you're independently wealthy -- RV's are EXPENSIVE to rent, especially one way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.